Saturday, February 15, 2014

Saturday, Feb. 15

Up at 7:30, and did stair stepping after breakfast, but skipped my weights exercises, because I needed to get in the kitchen and start a soup for later.

Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house, and she chopped veggies for the soup. While we worked in the kitchen, Hubbie vacuumed and did other household things in anticipation of his daughter visiting tomorrow afternoon.

I discovered that before I could start the soup, I needed no-salt diced tomatoes. Seems the last ones Hubbie bought were the full salt kind. Since I also needed pork chops for tomorrow's dinner, Hubbie made a trip to the grocery store. I started the soup as soon as he got back.

At this point, I was still in my exercise clothes, and now it was close to noon. So I fixed lunch...Ramen noodle soup for Mother, and leftover steak, ribs, and chicken from last night's meal at the restaurant for Hubbie and me. Hubbie had the steak and ribs, and I had the chicken. I added chicken and dumplings to the lunch.

Just as we were finishing our meal, we heard a loud boom, like an explosion. Hubbie hurried to the window and saw that there had been an automobile accident. A white car, with air bags deployed, was in the ditch across the road from Mother's house. Hubbie rushed out to see if anyone was injured.

I called 911, but was told that several others had already reported the accident. I went upstairs and changed out of my exercise clothes, grabbed a coat and my camera, and went outside. I saw that there was another car down the road in the ditch. A lot of people were gathered around it, and an ambulance had already arrived.

Someone nearby commented that the driver of that car sustained a lacerated leg, and possibly glass in an eye. We don't know who was at fault in the accident, but it appeared that one of the drivers crossed the center line, and the cars collided on the driver's sides.

Accidents frequently happen because of a curve in the road near our house. It mystifies us why the highway department does not place caution signs and rumble strips at that location.

Back inside after I took several shots of the accident, Mother and I made a double batch of bran muffins to go with the soup.

While the muffins cooled, I finally showered and dressed. Mother was ready to go home around 2:30,  since she knew that Hubbie and I planned to go to a basketball game at the college today. Hubbie accompanied her to her house. She took the leftover salmon and sweet potatoes, plus a yeast roll, with her for her supper. She also took a cupcake from the "Red Hot" event to have as a snack later.

Hubbie and I headed to the college around 3 p.m., and arrived a few minutes before the women's game ended. Our women won. The men, however, did not fare as well, and they lost by about 20 points.

Back home afterward, I heated some of the veggie soup and muffins for our supper. It was so comforting on this cold evening. Since it was an hour past our regular supper time, we had healthy appetites.

While we enjoyed our supper, we watched our favorite state college basketball team as they played to a win. I'd recorded the game on DVR, but the last four minutes did not record, drat it. We had to watch the evening news (also recorded) to learn the final score.

After the game, we watched episodes of "Friday Night Lights."














0 comments: