Saturday, April 12, 2014

Saturday, April 12

Slept late, until around 8 a.m. , and skipped my exercises, since we planned to go on outings that involved lots of walking. Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house mid-morning, and before 11 a.m., we went to a customer appreciation event at a local car dealership.

Wow, it was windy, and a bit cool. Mother and I should have worn another layer of clothing. The dealership hosted an antique American car show, which Mother and I  toured while Hubbie fetched a lunch of hot dogs, chips, and hot apple pies, and signed us up for a $500 gift certificate.

I noticed that this dealership, which is across the highway from a Ford/Kia dealership that was also hosting an event (as evidenced by a bounce house and slide), went out of the way to feature only American antique cars, because they sell only American made vehicles.

I'm pretty sure the food was also locally, state, or American produced. I deduced this from reading the packages of chips, mustard, and relish. I'm pretty sure the hot dogs were a state product, the buns were from a local bakery, the apple pies were from a local fast food restaurant, and even the paper boat food trays that the food was served in came from a local paper goods supply business. I think the dealership owner was definitely making a statement, though I don't know how many people recognized it. We are personally acquainted with the owner, so when I see him again, I'm going to ask him.

We brought the food home to eat, because it was too windy to be comfortable eating outdoors at the dealership. After lunch, I put on another shirt, and Hubbie fetched Mother's coat.

Then we went to the college where I swim to attend the Scottish festival. We arrived in time to watch the noisy and colorful parade of clans. We also enjoyed the dog show that included best costume (lots of kilt type costumes here, though a dog dressed in a bumble bee costume won), best wagging tail, best tricks, etc. There were some really cute dogs...I think they were all winners.

We also toured a British car show. I like car shows, and there were some nice ones here. After walking around the grounds for a while, we were ready to come home around 3 p.m. By then, the temperature had risen, and both Mother and I were getting too warm in our extra layers of clothes.

At home, we relaxed and watched TV until around 6 p.m., when we had egg salad sandwiches and chips. Mother was ready to go home shortly afterward, so Hubbie accompanied her. Then we watched "Bones" episodes for the evening.

0 comments: