Monday, May 5, 2014

Monday, May 5

Happy Cinco De Mayo!  According to Wikipedia, the date "commemorates the cause of freedom and democracy during the first years of the American Civil War, and today the date is observed in the United States as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride."

This was one of those mornings when I woke up  at 3 a.m. for a nature call and couldn't go back to sleep. Blah. I lay there reviewing last week, recalling images of last week's tornado destruction...images like American flags pinned to the broken walls of residences, or flyng from makeshift poles; like the steel foundation of a mobile home, bent like a hairpin around a tree; like viewing from the top of a hill the destructive path the mile-wide tornado took, flattening everything as it went, leaving the land appearing as barren and abandoned as a scene out of a sci-fi  movie.

If it's difficult for me to keep from thinking about these scenes, and ones on the news and at social network pages, how much more difficult must it be for the people who lived through it?

If I'd been smart, I would have just gotten up and done something constructive. Hubbie finally woke up at the usual 7:30 hour, a time I thought would never arrive.

After breakfast, I did stair stepping, resistance band, and leg weights exercises, but skipped the barbells, because of my thumb. It felt good to get a session in after not exercising for a few days.

Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house mid-morning, and she sorted pinto beans, to be washed and soaked overnight. While she did this, I got ready for the day, then did this and that around the house, including throwing a couple of loads of laundry in the machine.

For lunch, Mother had her usual, and I made chef's salads for Hubbie and me. Afterward, Mother went to her jigsaw puzzle, and Hubbie and I ran errands...first to the library to pick up a DVD of "Bone" episodes that was on hold for us. While there, we saw that the library was holding a small book sale. Hardbounds were only 25 cents apiece. Hubbie found a John Grisham novel that he hasn't read yet, and I found two large Stephen King volumes.

From there, we went to the greeting card shop to pick up cards Mother wanted for Mother's Day. Then we went to a grocery store to pick up a few items, like sodium-free canned goods that the WDCS doesn't seem to carry anymore, and fat-free ice cream that they also don't offer now. I had hoped to get a couple of bags of slaw mix, so I wouldn't have to go to the WDCS, but the grocer was out of it.

So we had to swing by the WDCS, after all. While we were there, we picked up a rotisserie chicken for supper. Finished our shopping there, and came back home. Hubbie changed clothes and went out to the yard, and I did a few more things around the house.

I noticed this afternoon that our black cat that was hit by a car, damaging her hip, was again constipated. She is supposed to eat soft cat food to avoid this, but she insists on eating the dry food with the other cats.

Today, though, she did eat a can of food. The only thing is, she soon upchucked it in the den. Then she went around trying to relieve herself in every room. But nothing happened. She's just too impacted.

She was miserable, and I couldn't stand watching her, so I went outside and insisted that Hubbie crate her and take her to the vet's office. He did, and she's to remain there until the vet can get her bowels to move again.

We would like to give this cat away to someone who would give her the attention she needs...someone who doesn't have other cats, so she can be fed only canned food. She can be a sweet cat, but she's not a good fit with our other cats, because she wants all the attention and is willing to battle for it. So there are often spats among them.

Later, I fixed a cheese sauce with bell peppers to add to a can of hominy given to us Saturday by Daughter-in-Law. This was a side dish, along with leftover sweet potatoes, and coleslaw, to accompany the rotisserie chicken at supper. It was very good. Mother and I really like hominy. Hubbie will eat it, though it's not his favorite.

Mother was ready to go home after supper, so Hubbie accompanied her. Then we watched episodes of  "Bones," until time for me to go put drops in Mother's eyes. Tonight, I chose to make strawberry milkshakes. There weren 't enough berries for three servings, but there was enough for shakes.














.

0 comments: