Thursday, May 8, 2014

Thursday, May 8

Up at 7 a.m., but skipped my exercises after breakfast, since I knew I'd be hiking up and down a hill during a tour of a local resident's yard.

While I got ready for the day, Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house. She was dressed to get in the kitchen and help make jelly, but when I told her that plans had changed, and I would be going on a garden tour, she went to her jigsaw puzzle.

Hubbie attended a 10 a.m. Master Gardener meeting this morning, so he drove the truck, so I could have the van.

I left the house around 10:45 to go to the host's home. I arrived first, but before long other's began arriving. When Hubbie got there, he said he'd tried to call me three times. I told him I hadn't heard my cell phone ring. I felt foolish when later, at lunch, I remembered that I hadn't even thought to bring my cell phone with me. It was still in my purse at home. No wonder I didn't hear it ring.

He'd called to let me know he'd invited Niece and Great-Niece to join us on the tour. When she arrived, we began the tour. I didn't stay with the group, since they lagged behind discussing the various plants. I wanted to snap photographs unhampered by a mash of people.

Following the tour, Niece joined us in having lunch at a local Italian restaurant. Hubbie and I opted for spinach quiche for our meal, but Niece ordered spaghetti and meatballs, since she knew Great-Niece would love it. And she did. She ate heartily for a two-year-old.

After lunch, we all came back to our house, so Niece and baby could tour our yard. Soon, though, the baby began getting tired and ready for a nap, so Niece went home.

Hubbie spent a while in the yard, planting zinnias before the rain began. While he did that, I went to the Social Security office to see about an application for a new Medicare card for Mother.

Just inside the door of the SS office, a security guard is stationed. He directed me to a computer to sign in and receive a number. Got my number (90) and sat down to wait. Five numbers were ahead of me...a couple registering their child for a Social Security number, a man beginning the process for getting disability payments (he was a roofer, who had obviously sustained an injury), a teenager registering for a Social Security card, and someone get their card replaced.

While I waited my turn, a couple of young men came in. The security guard hopped up and approached one of them about a "weapon" he was carrying...looked like a sheathed knife to me, but it could have been some sort of tool he worked with. The young man was super apologetic and hastened out to take the implement to his vehicle.

Once it was my turn at the window, it only took a minute to get the info I needed. I wanted to know if I needed to pick up an application, or what, for getting a new card for Mother. The lady at the window said that if I'd had her Social Security number with me, she could have just looked it up and sent a card. But since I didn't, she said to just call the office after I got home, and the matter could be easily handled.

Back home, Mother gave me her number, and I tried to call the SS office. But the phone book near the land line is out of date, so when I tried the number listed there, I was told it was no longer in service. So I went up to the office to look in a new book.

That number worked, but I had to listen for five minutes to a menu of messages about what I could access by phone by simply pressing the correct number. Finally, one of the menu items included a live person, and he was very helpful. So Mother's card should arrive in about two or three weeks. Phew. Nothing is every simple.

Later, I made chili-mac for supper, using a jar of already made spaghetti sauce from the freezer to which I added some ham and beans, and a little chili powder. Served the pasta with tomatoes and Vidalia onions topped with cottage cheese.

Mother was ready to go home shortly afterward, so Hubbie accompanied her. Then he and I continued watching "Bones" episodes.

Tonight, I remembered to go put drops in Mother's eyes before 10:30 p.m. Last night, I was even upstairs ready for bed before I remembered. But, thankfully, Mother was still up. Sometimes, I think Hubbie and I together don't have the brain of a gnat. I finally decided I was more likely to remember her medication if I put the container on top of my daily pill containers. That way, when I take my evening meds, I will see Mother's eye drops. It worked tonight.










0 comments: