Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Tuesday, May 6

Slept well last night, though I dreamed a lot. We were up around 7 a.m. I delayed exercising until after Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house, and we got a pot of beans started. Mother helped by dicing onions, carrots, banana peppers, and ham. I seasoned the beans with a can of beef and a can of chicken broth, and added paprika, pepper, and no salt seasoning.

After that, I did stair stepping, resistance bands, and leg weights exercises. Skipped the hand weights again, because of my thumb.

Once I was ready for the day, it was nearly lunchtime, so I heated leftovers for Mother and me, and Hubbie had a ham sandwich.

Caught up on reading newspapers for the afternoon until time to meet an appointment to have a bone density scan.

The appointment was for 3 p.m., and I arrived a few minutes beforehand. For this, I was required to fill out a form. One of the questions asked my height and weight. So what was the first thing the tech did when she took me back? Weighed and measured me, of course. Confirmed...I weigh and measure exactly what I stated on the form.

I took only a few minutes to complete the scan, which involved lying on a table, with my knees over a cushioned box, while the scan moved over the top of me, scanning my spine. Then, I lay with legs outstretched, one of them strapped to a metal thing, while the machine scanned my left hip. For some reason, scanning is done on the non-dominant side.

The whole process was over in about fifteen minutes. I looked at the scan, and it seemed okay to me...I couldn't spot anything that looked like holes or pockets. Hope that means there's no osteoporosis. I'll get the results in about a week.

I was back home before 3:30. Put large baking potatoes in the oven for supper. Then, caught up on family news on my social network page. A lot is going on in the family, particularly illnesses among the children...two woke up with flu this morning, one has a blistering sunburn, and one (an infant) has been diagnosed with mildly displaced hips.

At 4:30, I went to the college where I go for water aerobics to attend a 5 p.m. Friends of the Library executive board meeting. This meeting was to wind up business for the school year. We learned that our recent book sale netted over $2800 for the treasury. We consider the event a success, as was the chili/soup/silent auction event last fall. There's enough in the treasury to provide new laptop computers for the library.

The head librarian recognized the efforts of the Literacy Council director and myself for our work in organizing the book sale; and mentioned that four of us on the board provided award-winning soups or chilies at the fall event, for which we received cookbooks.The meeting only lasted about 45 minutes. We will not meet again until sometime in September.

I was back home by 6 p.m. I'd left instructions with Hubbie for completing and serving tonight's supper around 5 p.m. I didn't want Mother to have to wait for me before having her meal. So he and Mother put a recipe of cornbread in the oven, and fixed another batch of coleslaw. Hubbie sliced Vidalia onions.

Hubbie put a can of biscuits in the oven just before 6 p.m., so as soon as I heated beans, and a baked potato in the microwave, I was ready to sit down to my supper. I ate mine in the den, where Mother and Hubbie were enjoying TV.

Mother was ready to go home soon after, so Hubbie accompanied her. Then he and I watched episodes of "Bones."





0 comments: