Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Tuesday, July 22

Up around 7 a.m. Delayed my exercises until after lunch. Shortly after breakfast, Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house, and we began work in the kitchen.


Mother diced carrots, celery, onion, and banana pepper as part of a base for Dragon Soup. I sautéed the veggies, then added diced tomatoes, and cans of chicken and beef broth, along with various spices. I let the mixture simmer for a while, then added leftover veggies and gravies from the freezer.


While the soup simmered, Mother snapped green beans from the garden, and diced onion and banana peppers. I put the beans on to simmer, and then did various things around the house until lunch time.


After lunch, Hubbie went out to work in the yard, and Mother and I went to a nearby town to buy watermelons and cantaloupes. Road work delayed us for a time. Workers are repairing a bridge along the way, so traffic was backed up quite a way, until a pilot truck led us through the area.


The work area ended just at the driveway of the place where we get our melons, so it was necessary to wait for a young woman stopping traffic to give me the go-ahead to exit the driveway right behind the pilot truck that was using the driveway as a turn-around point.


I'm glad Hubbie wasn't with us. He gets very impatient with this sort of delay when he's driving. Between the two of us, I'm the more impatient one in most circumstances. But in driving, he's the impatient one. In the interest of self-preservation, I am very calm and focused behind the wheel, because there are enough impatient, distracted, out-of-control drivers on the road. I think maybe men tend to be more impatient drivers than women anyway. It's in their nature.


Back home, I started a pot of spaghetti sauce simmering before relaxing for a while. Cooked spaghetti later, and served the meal with individual salads, and garlic bread.


Mother was ready to go home afterward, so Hubbie accompanied her. I went over there later to put drops in her eyes. Then Hubbie and I watched episodes of "The Good Wife."















0 comments: