Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Wednesday, July 23

Up at 6 a.m. to get ready to go to water aerobics. Road in front of the chapel still torn up. Looks like workers are laying new pipe. Detoured through the chapel parking lot. Muggy morning, but pleasant enough for the walk to the gym.



The pool was chilly, but I got used to it after a while and enjoyed swimming and aerobics. A dozen of us attended the session. No news from the pool today.




Back home, I started a pan of water boiling for macaroni. Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house, and she diced onion and bell pepper for macaroni salad. As soon as the macaroni cooked, I cooled it under cold water, and I drained a couple of cans of mixed veggies to add to the pasta and diced veggies. Added spices, mustard, and salad dressing, and Mother blended the mixture. I think we made enough of the salad for an army.




After that, I got a boxed cake mix ready for making red velvet cupcakes. Mother put the batter into the muffin tins, and I put the cupcakes in the oven for twenty minutes. When they came out of the oven, I was finally ready to go upstairs and get ready for the day.




It was noon by the time I came back downstairs, so I prepared a lunch of pimento cheese sandwiches, with sides of macaroni salad.




Afterward, Hubbie and I ran errands...to the library to pick up season four of "The Good Wife;" to the newspaper to drop off this week's word search puzzle contest; to the farmers market to pick up a few tomatoes; to the bank; to the WDCS for groceries; and to the gas station to fill the van.




Back home, Hubbie and I did various tasks, while Mother worked on a new jigsaw puzzle, and the guy who is laying tile in the sunroom continued his job until he finished it today.




Later this afternoon, a storm cropped up, bringing high winds that blew small limbs and leaves off our trees, and bent the ready-to-bloom surprise lilies, as well as the veggie garden plants. I think all of these will stand back up again, though.



Hubbie was at the vet's office when the storm began, and he said there was incredibly high wind there, and a deluge of rain. He was trapped in the van until it abated enough for him to come home. He tried to call to tell me why he was delayed, but his cell phone wouldn't work...tower problems, maybe.



Fortunately, our power stayed on throughout the storm, though there were a couple of flickers...just enough so that we had to re-set the digital clocks.



Supper tonight was leftover spaghetti, green beans from our garden, tomatoes topped with cottage cheese, and garlic bread. Mother was ready to go home afterward, so Hubbie accompanied her. Later I went over and put drops in her eyes.




Hubbie and I spent the evening binge-watching "The Good Wife," as usual.


***********************************************


Funny: this afternoon, before Hubbie and I headed out to run errands, he went in search of his eyeglasses. He looked everywhere upstairs and downstairs. I was checking my social network page while this was going on.




 Finally, I handed him a pair of glasses and suggested that he just use those until he could find his. He took them and declared, "These are my glasses. Where did you find them?"



I doubled over laughing and choked out, "On my face." I'd been using them the whole time he was searching for them.




It was one of those you-had-to-be-there moments.



0 comments: