Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Wednesday, July 30

Up at 6 a.m. to get ready to go to water aerobics. Cool morning, but not cool enough for long sleeves. The pool was cool, too, but heavenly once I got used to it.


Twelve of us attended today, and we had a good workout. Learned that one of our members, who is now at an independent living center, recently fell and broke her hip. I hate to hear this and hope she mends okay. Hip fractures are dangerous for the elderly. I'm glad that my recent bone scan showed I still have strong bones. I constantly fear that Mother will one day fall and break something, since she has obvious osteoporosis.


Back home after aerobics, Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house, and I washed more peaches for her to peel and slice for the freezer, while I got ready for the day.


Back downstairs, I helped her with the peaches...we bagged five quarts today. So now we have twelve quarts in the freezer.


It was time for lunch by this time, so we had sandwiches...pimento cheese for Mother, and ham and baby Swiss for Hubbie and me.


Hubbie went upstairs for a nap after lunch...he awakened in the middle of the night and couldn't go back to sleep, so he was sleepy.


Mother and I continued working in the kitchen. I washed green beans from our garden, and we snapped them to be cooked for supper. She diced and onion and banana pepper to go in them, and I added spices and broths and set them to simmering.


Then Mother diced leftover baked potatoes, while I worked on a recipe of scalloped tomatoes. I sautéed onion in olive oil and butter, added flour, then the tomatoes, and a tablespoon of brown sugar, then simmered the mixture for about fifteen minutes. Added spices ...paprika, pepper, no-salt seasoning, a little salt, a little basil, a little oregano, and a little parsley...and three slices of toasted and cubed bread. Poured the mixture into a buttered baking dish, and topped it with shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Baked it later at 350 degrees for an hour. This was a way to use up tomatoes left from the camping trip that had already been sliced and diced.


Before supper, I sautéed the diced baked potatoes with onion, and served them with the green beans, scalloped tomatoes, and the steamed squash from last night, along with the remainder of the homemade wheat bread.


Mother was ready to go home soon afterward, so Hubbie accompanied her. I went over to her house later and put drops in her eyes. Then Hubbie and I watched episodes of "The Good Wife."


Tonight, Hubbie had to drink a gosh-awful solution in preparation for his CT scan tomorrow. Then he's to have nothing to eat or drink after midnight, according to written information he got at the hospital. But he called the tech today and was told he could have a little water, or even some coffee in the morning, just no solid food.



















0 comments: