Thursday, October 18, 2007

Greeting Cards From Scrapbook Scraps


My 85-year-old mother and I belong to a scrapbooking club that meets once a month at a local bank community room. Today was our meeting day.


Most meeting days, we confine ourselves to working on our scrapbooks, but today we strayed into making greeting cards from leftover cardstock. The photo above shows the results of some of my mother's and my work (I wonder why I call it work when it's really play?).
I made the birthday card at the upper left using lots of little strips of leftover cardstock. The Christmas card on the upper right (made by my mother) uses several elements, including three slide mounts that she painted. Inside the mounts, she used red buttons with peppermint candy stickers on top. The words "Merry Christmas" are stickers found at a local one-dollar store, and the patterned paper on the bottom is leftover from a scrapbook page. Both of these cards are based on ideas we got from a magazine.
The middle left card uses a panel of flower stickers that came on a sheet of address labels I got in the mail. I glued that panel to a piece of scrap cardstock, and then used butterfly stickers mounted on cardstock scraps, and trimmed. I also adhered foam squares to the butterflies to help them stand up away from the flower panel, creating a sense of flight. A ribbon at the top of the card completes the design.
The birthday card on the striped paper uses foam letters...I got these at a yard sale last weekend. I glued the striped paper to yellow cardstock, and used fancy scissors on the card edges. On the bottom card, I used skeletonized and dyed leaves glued on top of strips of autumn colored paper. I got a whole box of the bargain-priced leaves in various fall colors at our local discount chain last year.
All the cards have blank insert sheets for writing messages.




4 comments:

Ann crum said...

Those are really cute! I love how you and Mom can find such frugal ways to create these.

Sixty Something said...

Thanks, Sis. Maybe sometime when you come for a visit, we can have a card making session.With your creativity, I know you'd do some great ones!

Anonymous said...

Such a great idea! I'm always looking at scrapbook supplies, but if I start a scrapbook I never have time to finish it. I love to do digital scrapbooking, but I think I might just have to make some Christmas cards this way! Thanks for sharing!

Sixty Something said...

Jenn, thanks for your comments.We've enjoyed taking scrapbooking breaks from time to time to make greeting cards, which seems to get our creative juices flowing again. Hope you have a great time making Christmas cards. The lucky recipients will love them! Maybe you could share your creations with us in your blog.