Saturday, April 26, 2008

Country-Western Dance

Mother agreed to go with us last night to the country-western dance and barbecue held at a local church fellowship hall. We got there at 6 p.m. for lessons in country line dancing, Texas two-step, country swing, country waltz, etc. There was quite a crowd there this time to take advantage of the free session.

As usual, the young instructor had the women move from man to man to practice the steps. Hubbie does not like this strategy, so he was mighty glad to see me when I finally rotated back to him. Hugging me fiercely, he said, "I prefer dancing with you. You're just my size."

At 7 p.m., the regular dance session began. The instructor acted as DJ, playing a variety of music and calling out suggested dances, like waltz, foxtrot, swing, or Texas two-step. Of course, we were free to use any steps we wanted with any of the music played, but most of us followed the instructor's suggestions.

A few folks that Mother knows were there, and they stopped by to talk with her, but she was just as happy watching...and evaluating...the dancers. She judged Hubbie and me as the best looking couple on the floor, of course, commenting that we dance well together. We're not as smooth as we'd like to be, but I think we've come a long way. Certainly, we're getting a lot more comfortable with the various dances.

She did have to laugh at me learning a new line dance, though, when I just couldn't seem to get my left foot to cooperate. However, when the music started, my left foot just naturally fell right into step.

The barbecue sandwiches were very good...nice and small without a ton of meat on them...so I felt comfortable indulging in one. The potato salad that was my contribution must have been good, too, because the bowl emptied quickly.

By 9 p.m., we were filled up with dancing, though, and ready to go home. Mother had spent three hours at the dance, and seemed to enjoy every minute of it, despite not being able to take the floor herself.

0 comments: