Friday, April 25, 2008

Speed-Bump Day

Today turns into one of those annoying speed-bump days. It all starts shortly after breakfast, while I am cheerfully occupied with morning bathroom rituals. At an inconvenient moment, the alarm clock goes off in the bedroom. Buzz, Buzz, BUZZ, BUZZ, BUZZ!!! it gradually insists.



Where is Hubbie? Can't he hear that? Rats. I'll have to go take care of it myself. I grumble and stomp to the bedroom, turn the alarm off, and stomp back to the bathroom. Just as I start to step into the shower...Buzz, Buzz, BUZZ, BUZZ!! Good grief! Stomp back to the bedroom, this time with my eyeglasses. Phooey. I'd moved the alarm button to "pause" instead of "off."



Stomp back to the bathroom in time to see the lights flicker...it's a nanosecond brown-out. The printer downstairs kicks on and prints something.



"What are you printing?" Hubbie calls up the stairs.



I step out to the hallway and look down at him. "What do you mean, what am I printing?" I ask, standing there in my altogether. "Do I look like I'm ready to print stuff?"



"Oh...well, I guess it just decided to print something on it's own," he says, watching the machine spit out a print cartridge alignment sheet. "By the way," he adds, "I can't get cable to work on the TV."

Sigh. I grab a bathrobe and go downstairs to manipulate the remote control until cable comes back on.

Back to the bathroom. Finally! I'm ready to get into my swimsuit, t-shirt, and fleece pants (it's a little cool this morning), grab my swim tote, and head to the college pool. Yay! I get to go to a water aerobics class after a two-month absence.

At the college parking lot, there are lots of available spaces. Odd. I usually have to park way at the top of the hill and walk down to the pool area. I step out of the van to be greeted by the water aerobics leader. The pool is down for maintenance, she says, so no water aerobics class today. Drat!

Back home. Since Hubbie is away helping the Master Gardeners set up for Saturday's plant sale, Mother and I decide to go shopping. I call Hubbie to let him know our plans. No answer. This is the second time I've tried to call him in the past couple of days, with no success. Does he just not have his cell phone on?

Well, he'll just have to guess where Mother and I are if he gets back home before we do.

At the worldwide discount chain store, I look for a pair of flat shoes with straps across them that I can dance in. There are several pairs of the style I have in mind, but none in my size or in the color I want, of course.

Later, I ask Hubbie if his cell phone is on. Yes, it is. Then why doesn't he answer when I call. He hasn't heard it ring, he says. To test his phone, I call his number. We can barely hear it ring. I set it to it's loudest ring. It's still so low, we can barely hear it. I call the store where we bought the phones. They can't tell me what's wrong. We'll need to take them to the store so they can look at them.

Off we go to the cell phone store, about 15 minutes away in another town. The folks there can't make the phones ring louder, either, until one of them fiddles with a function I'm unfamiliar with and finally gets a loud ring...not a pleasant ring, but a loud one, anyway. I hate cell phones.

Back home. Lunch over, Mother goes home to rest, and I decide to print some scrapbook pages to add to a birthday gift for Granddaughter-in-Law. But the color ink cartridge is low. I think I have a new one in stock in my office upstairs. No, there are none. So off we go to the worldwide discount chain store, again, to get a new one.

The trip is successful. We get a new cartridge and put it in the printer. Everything works fine. No more frustrations for the day. Thank goodness!

0 comments: