Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Different Names, Same Dance

I stayed pretty busy yesterday...not as busy as last Thursday, but busy enough. It was Cardiac Rehab day, so I got up at 7 a.m. to give myself plenty of time to perform my morning routine before I left the house just after 8:30. My sessions are at 9 a.m., but staff want patients there by 8:45 to weigh in, attach a heart monitor, and get blood pressure and oxygen saturation readings before exercises begin.

The session went well. For our upper body workout, the attendant gave me four-pound weights instead of the one-pound ones I'd used last Thursday, upped my treadmill speed, and increased the resistance on the cardio-stepper.

Back home afterwards, I spent the rest of the morning in regular household activities. At 1:30 p.m., I took Mother to meet a doctor's appointment, mainly to have her blood pressure checked so she could get new prescriptions. After that, we ran errands until about 3:30.

Yesterday evening, Hubbie and I attended a ballroom Swing dance lesson. Swing is much like the Rock 'n' Roll (also known as Jitterbug) dance of the 1950s, so I was already familiar with the basic steps. Hubbie, though, had a bit of trouble getting into...well, into the swing of it. So the instructor sent me to practice with another partner, while she took charge of Hubbie.

The new partner and I had to try several times before we finally got the hang of the arm-tangling turns. But when the instructor sent me to Hubbie to practice, nothing seemed to work. So she sent me back to the other partner again for the duration of the session. Obviously, Hubbie and I will need quite a bit of practice at home to get comfortable with this dance! I thoroughly enjoyed dancing to Rock 'n' Roll music as a teenager, so I really want us to learn Swing.

Swing takes a lot of energy, though, so by the time we got home after the session, we were ready to veg in front of the TV for a while and then hit the sack.

0 comments: