Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Cardiac Tuesday

It's been a busy Tuesday so far. Cardiac Rehab was first on the agenda, of course, the first 30 minutes of which was devoted to learning about cholesterol and how to control it.



Some of the men attending voiced displeasure at having to give up high fat foods like marbled beef and French fries, and the nutritionist advised that it is okay to have small amounts of those foods occasionally, because to never indulge our food desires would make us feel deprived and would derail our attempts at healthy eating. I gave up French fries and potato chips a couple of years ago in favor of more rib-sticking baked potatoes, and when I have beef, or any other meat, it's always very lean. Beef is not my favorite meat anyway, but we serve it from time to time because Hubbie likes it. I prefer chicken, and ground turkey for burgers.

I like fish, too, but not three times a week as recommended, so I take fish oil gel supplements to increase omega-3 intake. The nutritionist discussed several varieties and strengths of fish oil supplements.



After the educational session, I had a good workout, as usual, which ended around 10:30 a.m. Afterwards, I met an 11 a.m. appointment with my cardiologist. He is very pleased with my progress, and commented that I am a cardiology poster child. "If everyone was as diligent as you are at taking care of yourself after a heart episode, I'd be out of a job," he said. I told him I am willing to do whatever it takes to keep from having another episode. That just wasn't any fun at all.



I got home about noon, in time to make myself one of my famous chef's salads. Mother opted for leftover macaroni and cheese, and Hubbie had a deli turkey sandwich and potato salad. After lunch, Mother put color in my hair, in anticipation of haircut appointments later this week. She does an excellent job of applying the color evenly throughout my hair. Even our hairdressers have commented on it.

Later in the afternoon, I got a call from Daughter saying that Granddaughter is in the hospital and will be there overnight. Her doctor will induce labor tomorrow morning, so I expect to have a new great-grandson sometime tomorrow.

Last evening, my other granddaughter called to say she has an appointment with her doctor tomorrow to determine if she will go into the hospital to have her baby (also a boy).

We're on pins and needles.

0 comments: