Monday, July 21, 2008

It's Monday Again

I took my camera to water aerobics this morning, so I could snap several shots for an "Around Town" feature in the newspaper. I'll need to scout out other interesting things here and there to add to this morning's shots.



After lunch, it was errand time again. No matter how well we try to plan, we still seem to need to run around every day. Today, we discovered we didn't have enough chicken breasts for tonight's supper meal, so we decided to make a run to the worldwide discount chain store. I picked up several other items on the grocery list while I was there plus some that weren't, like salad makings for lunch.



As long as we were out, we stopped by the pharmacy to pick up prescriptions for Mother. A lady we've known for years, who worked in the same building as we did before we all retired, was at the pharmacy, too, and told us that her diabetes has grown worse. She now has kidney problems and has been warned by her physician that she must more strictly follow the diet plan he has outlined for her or face dialysis in the near future. She's had diabetes for many years, and for as long as we've known her, she has strayed from her diet. The diabetic diet, she said today, goes against her German cuisine background, and she resents it.

I can certainly empathize with her, having had to adjust my own diet over the past few years, first to lose weight and then to conform to a more heart-healthy regimen. I sometimes miss the high fat, salty foods I enjoyed before, but now it's easier to remind myself of how damaging they can be to my health.



Our last stop was the farm supply store that carries the brand of senior dog food that Shih Tzu prefers. This national chain store publishes an interesting and free quarterly magazine aimed at rural Americans. All sorts of topics are featured, including farming, animal husbandry, farm equipment, as well as veggie and flower gardening, hobbies, crafts, and recipes. Mother and I especially like this magazine, and Hubbie sometimes finds something helpful in it, too.

Since the temperature reached into the sizzling triple digits this afternoon, with sauna-like humidity, we stayed indoors under the air conditioner and relaxed, each involved in our own pursuits. We needed a few hours of down time after last week's county fair.

0 comments: