Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday, March 13

Yipes! Friday the 13th! Well, it's almost over and, as expected, nothing troublesome happened.



We got up late, around 8 a.m., and because my back felt better, I got on the treadmill after breakfast. I walked more slowly, though, just to be on the safe side.



After I was ready for the day, Mother came over, and we gathered photos and paper for making scrapbook pages at our meeting next week. This time, I will do a couple of pages on my dad, who died in 1983. Mother will do one on my deceased brother.



I also plan to do a page featuring myself, with journaling listing the many things I enjoy in life. Most of the pages that Mother and I have done have centered on grandkids and great-grandkids, but we think we need to do more on ourselves, to help tell our stories to future generations. I know very little about my grandparents. And since geneology is not one of my hobbies, I know nothing about my great-grandparents.



Because it is Lent, I fixed omelets and toast for lunch. Afterwards, Mother and I continued with our scrapbook projects, while Hubbie watched SEC basketball.



For supper, we had steamed veggies...new potatoes, zucchini and yellow squash with onions, and corn on the cob. After supper, Hubbie and I went to the art gallery to watch a watercolor artist demonstrate his art while he talked about his technique.



The picture the artist did was a portrait of a young woman. His work is loose and impressionistic, and he used an unusual palette of colors like cadmium yellow, cerulean blue, burgundy, etc., in bold strokes that he allowed to meld and run in streaks. He calls himself a "values watercolorist." Rather than trying to reproduce reality, he lets color values and contrasts bring out the portrait, the architecture, or the landscape he is painting. One of his works is featured in all the promotional materials for the upcoming film festival.



At the end of his demonstration, which lasted about 30 minutes, someone asked if the work he had just completed was for sale. He said it was...for $250, unframed. Hubbie glanced my way and rolled his eyes. We don't know if anyone bought it or not, since we left shortly after his demonstration.



We took fruited chocolate cookies for the artist reception, but since the crowd dispersed early, I transferred a few of the cookies to a small plate and brought the rest back home. Hubbie added a couple of brownies and a couple of butterscotch cookies to my cookie plate.



Note: dressing for the art gallery event: its hard to know what to wear in this season of the year, when it's still chilly, but spring is so close that I don't want to wear dark, wintry-looking clothes, but I still want to dress warmly enough. I settled on a jewel green turtleneck sweater and black slacks.



Hubbie had no trouble at all choosing an outfit. All day, he'd worn a knit shirt and blue jeans, so I asked him if that was what he planned to wear to the gallery tonight.



"No, of course not," he said. "I need to go change into something else."



A few minutes later, he came downstairs. He'd changed into another knit shirt and blue jeans!

0 comments: