Thursday, March 12, 2009

Thursday, March 12

I woke up this morning with a wacky back. I strained it somehow yesterday, and began feeling it during the afternoon. An old injury, suffered years ago when I tried to lift my elderly dad after he'd fallen out of bed, flares up unexpectedly from time to time when I twist or turn the wrong way.

Anyway, I decided not to get on the treadmill, fearing my back might catch and I'd fall. Instead, I put on my coat and hat and went outside to shoot some pictures of the ice on the bushes and daffodils. It was safe to walk out there, since the ground was wet, but not icy.

Mother came over mid-morning, and we gathered materials for making greeting cards at a meeting of the hospice group later this month. We've pre-planned the designs, cut card stock to size, and found matching envelopes.

While we were doing this, Hubbie spent the morning at a Master Gardener meeting. He came back home around noon, and I made a pot of soup, using canned chicken broth, whole wheat noodles, sliced green onions, fresh spinach leaves, and thyme for seasoning. It was based on a recipe I found in a little cookbook I got at the Go Red for Women luncheon. It was a warming soup, if not my very favorite. I think it might be better if I add carrots and celery next time, so it has a little more bulk and flavor. But it was okay, and satisfying, followed with bowls of fruited Jell-o with fat-free whipped topping.

After lunch, I went back outdoors and shot a few more pictures with the snow falling, and then posted some of today's photos on my blog (see below). Mother went home about 2:30. Hubbie made a batch of dog biscuits for Shih Tzu, while I rested my back and read magazines.

Later, we watched a movie, and then I put leftover stir fry and rice in the oven to heat for our supper. Tonight, I decided to forego our 6 to 7 p.m. quiet hour, so Hubbie could watch basketball. He air popped popcorn for us at 8:30, and at 8:45 p.m., we watched our favorite college basketball team lose again in SEC play. So it's all over for them this year. Better luck next year.

0 comments: