Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sunday, March 15

My back is much better today, so I was able to walk on the treadmill at nearly my normal rate of speed. I should be fine going to water aerobics tomorrow morning, though I'll ease into the routine for a couple of days.

Otherwise, we did our usual Sunday routine...reading the paper, programming the DVR for this week's shows, etc. I threw a couple of loads of clothes in the washer. Then we all helped fix lunch. Mother "fried" chicken (using only a little olive oil and cooking spray), Hubbie chopped cabbage in the food processor to make coleslaw, and peeled potatoes, which I mashed after they cooked. It was all very good served with gravy made from chicken broth thickened with corn starch, and leftover corn on the cob and steamed squashes.

For music accompaniment, we chose "Celtic Woman" on CD.

After lunch, Mother and I went for a stroll at the college lake. It was nippy enough to wear coats today, but the trees around the lake are ready to burst into bloom. Since predictions are for 60 and 70 degree days this week, the trees will probably flower pretty quickly.

Not many folks were at the lake today. One young man (probably an early arrival on campus after spring break) was playing disc golf. Three women and a toddler were just leaving as we arrived, and one other Hispanic young woman was walking for exercise around the lake.

Hubbie was watching SEC basketball when we got back home. Once the game was over, he turned the TV off and resumed his novel, while I played on my laptop computer. It was a lazy afternoon.

On Sunday evenings, Hubbie and I work together to fix supper. He likes breakfast meals on this day, so tonight he made French toast (using wheat bread), scrambled eggs (egg substitute for me), and microwaveable turkey bacon, while I heated dinner plates, sugar-free pancake syrup, and water for hot tea, peeled fresh oranges, and set the couch pull-down table in the den.

Later, we watched the movie "There will be Blood," starring Daniel Day-Lewis. It's an R-rated (for violence) film about a turn-of-the-century California frontier silver miner who becomes an oil tycoom while raising a son. He is persuaded to go to a small town where oil is said to be oozing from the ground, and where he is finds he must deal with a charismatic preacher of a holy roller church. Naturally, conflicts result and lives are changed, not always for the better.

0 comments: