Sunday, May 31, 2009

Camping Trip, Day One

Wednesday, May 27:

I slept better last night, since I didn't cough as much, so I felt better this morning. I still coughed during the day, but the sneezing and blowing has diminished.

We left home about 10 a.m., heading south to the campground. We stopped at the grocery store parking lot down the road from our house, because I discovered one of the storage doors on the camper was ajar and needed to be locked down. A lady was vending fruits and veggies from the back of her pickup truck behind the store, so I checked to see if she had strawberries, but she said they hadn't arrived yet. So we were back on the road again in a few minutes.

Snoops the cat was a much better traveler this trip...she hardly meowed at all, and just laid down and relaxed. She was also good after we arrived, when we put her in the cage in the camper. She might become a decent traveler, after all.

Around 11:30 a.m., we stopped at a truck stop and had a sandwich, and then traveled on to the campground. After setting up the camper, we had snacks of strawberries and cookies. Then Mother and I tried sitting in the yard, but we no sooner got out the lawn chairs and settled in than we heard thunder and the sky darkened. So we went back indoors. Soon the wind blew and a few drops of rain fell, but nothing more happened. Still, it looked stormy outside, so we decided to stay in for a while and amuse ourselves with puzzle books and novels.

Later, near suppertime, we wondered what we might want to eat, since we discovered that even though we were staying four nights, we'd planned only three main meals. Finally, we decided that some of the burgers that Hubbie grilled yesterday would be good, so we got them out of the freezer and put two turkey burgers and two hamburgers into the bun warmer to heat on the stove, while Hubbie went to a nearby convenience store to get hamburger buns. We had the burgers with salad.

The bun warmer I used is one that we've had for as long as we've been married, and it has come in handy several times, though not only to warm buns. It's a three-part unit...bottom, which holds water, insert with holes, and lid. I put just enough water in the bottom so that it does not seep into the insert, and then add the food I want to heat, and cover with the lid. Even though the burgers I put in the pan were frozen, they thawed and heated in no time, and were moist and juicy when served. In our early camping days, before we had the conveniences of our current RV, I even cooked a meatloaf in that bun warmer.

After supper, Mother and I tried again to sit in the yard, but a chill wind was blowing, so we only stayed out for a few minutes. Then it was back to our puzzle books and novels, or in my case, playing on the laptop. There was no Internet access at the campground, though, and I missed it.

Later, we played Skipbo. Lyle won two games, and Mother and I each won one. By that time, we were all ready to hit the sack.

0 comments: