Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Wednesday, June 3

We were up by 7:30 this morning, and after breakfast I did a treadmill session and weight exercises. I'm nearly back to capacity again. Once I was ready for the day, I checked on Mother, who is doing much better, though is still not quite up to par.



After that, I threw some clothes in the washing machine, and then checked my computer e-mail. There was a message from Niece, who lives in New York. She said that her husband passed away in his sleep last Saturday night. Her husband was only 48 years old. She didn't mention what the cause of death was. I only met Niece's husband one time, several years ago, but the news of his death is still a shock.

I spent the rest of the morning in routine household chores. After lunch, Hubbie and I ran errands...to the post office, to the pharmacy, to a department store (where I looked for either white or tan dress slacks, but had no luck), and then on to the WDCS, where we picked up photos from last weekend's family gathering, and where I actually found a pair of tan dress slacks in my size (there was only one pair in my size, as it turned out).

I needed the slacks to wear with a new blouse to church this weekend when we travel to the northeast part of our state to visit Hubbie's family. The problem, of course, is that the slacks are too long, so Mother is hemming them for me (she insisted on doing this, though I'm perfectly capable of doing the job myself).

Later this afternoon, I put veggies in the steamer to cook...new potatoes, and the zucchini and yellow squashes I bought from the roadside vendor yesterday. I added an onion to the squashes, and let both layers of veggies steam until tender. I served the veggies unseasoned, and they were delicious with nothing but a dab of margarine and a sprinkling of pepper added at the table. Hubbie made a small batch of corn muffins to have with the meal, though Mother and I passed on those.

While the veggies were steaming, a thunderstorm popped up. I fervently hoped that the storm wouldn't knock out the power before our veggies cooked, and thankfully it didn't.

After Mother came over following lunch, she spent the afternoon relaxing in the living room rocking chair and looking through the new scrapbook books I bought at the dollar store in another town yesterday.

She went back home after supper, and we settled in to watch TV. Saw a couple of strange ones tonight. The first was called "Noise," starring Tim Robbins. This R-rated movie (for language, violence, and adult situations) centers on a man who is super-sensitive to the noise pollution where he lives in New York. He finally takes action by smashing cars, disconnecting car alarms, and other alarm systems, etc. , causing him problems with the law, his job, and his marriage.

The second movie we saw was "The Happening," starring Mark Wahlberg and also rated "R," for violence. In this movie, neurotoxins carried on the breeze cause people to commit suicide. Where the neurotoxins come from, nobody knows.

Note re: cooking spray stains on my favorite sandals and a pair jeans...the Dawn dish liquid treatment took the oil stains out of both items.

0 comments: