Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Wednesday, September 9

I was glad to get back to the pool for water aerobics this morning, though it was hard to get up early this morning. Naturally, since I so hoped I'd get a good night's rest, I awoke at 2 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep until 4 a.m. Hubbie was quiet last night...no sleep apnea...so that was not the problem. I don't know what the problem was. Sometimes, I just come fully awake and alert and can't shut down again.



Back home, I was getting ready for the day when I heard a strange noise outside. I thought Hubbie was using a piece of equipment in the yard that made the noise, but learned a few minutes later that it was an accident out on the highway (see previous blog). It occurred to me that an accident might have caused the noise, but since I didn't hear that sickening thud of vehicles colliding, I dismissed it as Hubbie and his yard equipment.



I went outdoors right away and snapped a few shots (I'm collecting evidence that the highway out front is a hazard, and the highway department should do something about it, like installing rumble strips and caution signs near that curve).



Mother was sitting on her porch observing the excitement when I went out, and after it was over, we came back to my house and spent time in the kitchen. Mother put chicken in the slow cooker, and I cut up fruit and veggies for lunch. Since some tomatoes and mushrooms were getting old, she cut up the tomatoes to stew and freeze for sauces and soups, and I sauteed the mushrooms to freeze for sauces, omelets, and fajitas. Sometimes food is forgotten in the fridge and has to be discarded, but most of the time we are diligent to either consume leftovers and fresh produce, or prepare it for the freezer.



For lunch, we had turkey bacon, tomato, lettuce, and Vidalia onion sandwiches, with chips or cottage cheese, and bowls of fresh fruit. After lunch, we hopped in the van and went to the movie theater to catch a 1 p.m. showing of "Julie and Julia," starring Meryl Streep. Unfortunately, I failed to read the theater's ad in our local newspaper closely enough, because matinee showings only occur on weekends, now that schools are back in session. So we went to a 7 p.m. showing, instead.



I could tell that Hubbie was less than thrilled with my movie goof, since he had been busy in the yard re-potting plants before lunch, and stopped to take a shower and change clothes to go to the theater. But in his usual mild manner, he just "humphed" a little as we drove home, but said no more.



The slow cooker chicken was delicious, served with rice and gravy and leftover veggies. Julia Child would not approve of this simple, low sodium, no butter, no heavy sauce, decidedly un-French meal. But we enjoyed it, as well the movie about her, and a young woman, Julie Powell, who, over the course of a year, tries all the recipes in Child's first cookbook. Powell writes a daily blog about her adventures in the kitchen, and subsequently publishes a book of her own, based on her blogs. Seven of us (including the arts council director, who sat in the same back row as we did) were in the theater for this comedy/drama movie, rated PG-13.

Because I can't eat the popcorn or other snacks at the theater concession stand, I made a healthy trail mix this afternoon and divided it into three plastic food storage bags, and carried these and bottles of water in a tote to the theater. I'm sure the theater folks would not appreciate this, but until they offer healthier snack options, this is what I'll do when we go to the movies. Bon appetit.

0 comments: