Monday, March 1, 2010

Monday, March 1

Another month behind us! Well, good riddance to that one...it was too cold! Hopefully, March will bring some more pleasant weather, though today, still windy-cold, isn't what I have in mind.

Got up around 7:30 this morning and did a treadmill session and weights exercises. Later, Hubbie called his surgeon, but didn't immediately reach him. After a couple of hours, the nurse called to say the surgeon said Hubbie's symptoms are not related to the hernia surgery, and that he should see his general practitioner. So he got an appointment for this afternoon.

We didn't accomplish anything this morning. We didn't want to get all involved in a project and then have to stop to go to the doctor. So we just did this and that while we waited for a call from the surgeon's office.

Mother came over about 11:30 and joined us for lunch. I made cheese omelets for Hubbie and me, and Mother had Ramen noodle soup.

Around 2 p.m., Hubbie and I met with the doctor, who diagnosed Hubbie's problem as gastritis and possible ulcers. He said patients often develop this problem after surgery, as a result of stress. He prescribed a medication, and advised that if Hubbie's problem didn't go away in two months, to come back to explore the possibility of gall bladder problems. Hopefully, it won't come to that.

From the doctor's office, we went to a drugstore to pick up a couple of on-sale items. While we were there, I asked if the store still develops film in one hour. They do. The WDCS still does, too, but I was told that they would stop soon, and they didn't know if they'd still be doing so in April, which is when I'd need the service...during a photo teaching residency at a local school. The pharmacy assured me they will still offer the service in April.

I found a bargain on one-time use cameras while I was there, too, and picked up four packages of three cameras to a package. The store also obliged me in ordering four more packages, which I can get at the current sale price.

Then we took Hubbie's prescription to our usual pharmacy, but didn't wait for it to be filled. Instead, we went to the bank, and to the health store...where I picked up a new cereal called muesli, containing oats and other grains, plus almonds, walnuts, dates, and raisins. Hope it's good. I was tired of eating the eight grain cereal I've been buying (which I refer to as cattle feed).

After that, we went to the WDCS for several grocery items, a box of envelopes, and cat food. We were back home about 4:30. Mother had prepared a casserole, using the leftover meatloaf, cooked rice, and cheese. We had this with a choice of Lima beans or large butter beans.

Mother went home after supper, and Hubbie and I watched TV. Tonight's fare was a PBS movie..."The 39 Steps," a British spy mystery set in 1914. Pretty good.

Then we saw Morgan Freeman in a movie titled, "10 Items or Less." In this R-rated film (mainly for language), a famous actor who hasn't worked for four years decides to research an out-of-the-way supermarket for a possible role in a small independent film. He becomes fascinated with the young 10-items-or-less checker, whom he befriends and then helps to abandon her dead-end job in hopes of finding more suitable employment. Adventures ensue, with a mix of philosophy and humor from Freeman.

2 comments:

Ann crum said...

The muesli sounds a lot like the granola I make for myself. I wrote about it at http://plainbookhomeschooling.blogspot.com/2009/12/granola.html if you want to check it out. I love the stuff!

Sixty Something said...

I'm sure it's very similar to what you make. I tried it this morning, and it's pretty good...sticks to the ribs for sure.