Friday, May 14, 2010

Friday, May 14

By the time we got back home after attending a community theater play last night, it was too late to post a blog.

Hubbie and I were on duty as ushers for the a musical production of "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change." We arrived at the college theater at the appointed 6:45 hour in order to be ready to collect tickets and hand out programs by 7 p.m.

Unfortunately, it was a scant crowd for this opening performance, with fewer than 25 in attendance. Fortunately, though, this is an intimate three-quarter-round theater, so the audience didn't look quite as sparse as it would have in the big auditorium.

The play humorously and musically takes the audience through the various stages of relationships, from dating, to marriage, to the first baby, to divorce, and finally to an old couple striking up an acquaintance while attending the wake for a deceased woman that, as it turns out, neither of them really knows.

Mother opted out of going to this play, since it contained some language and adult situations.

Before we went to the play, we decided to buy supper at a fast food restaurant, because I was in the mood for a grilled chicken sandwich and a cup of soft serve ice cream. We were a bit taken aback, though, when we were charged fifty cents for two cups of water. In the future, we'll just buy what we want and bring it home to eat, where the water is free.

As we left, we bought an extra cup of soft serve for Mother, and then headed to a gas station to fill the van. Inadvisedly, we took a main drag out to the WDCS station, which placed us in bumper-to-bumper traffic all the way. I fervently hoped Mother's cup of soft serve wouldn't be liquid by the time we arrived home. But when I talked with her this morning, she said it was okay...only slightly melted around the edges.

Other than the play, yesterday was pretty unproductive. I did do a treadmill session in the morning, though I walked at a slower pace. I'll need to build back to my usual level over the course of several days.

Mother stayed home all day yesterday. I finished clipping articles and photos I'd done for our regional newspaper over the years. I've now reduced a huge stack of newspapers to a small plastic tote. Now I can tackle a bookshelf or two at a time until I weed out my office.

Today, I slept late, until 8 a.m., but still did a treadmill session and weights exercises after breakfast. Not much else happened until after lunch, when Hubbie and I ran errands...to a roadside vendor to pick up a flat and a half of strawberries, to stop by a local radio station to check on the availability of Branson show tickets, to the hydroponic farm store for tomatoes (but, phooey, it is closed until Monday), to the WDCS for several grocery items, to a vet clinic to pick up a case of canned dog food and a bottle of pet vitamins, and then to a restaurant for a pound of pork barbecue, which we paid for with the $10 coupon I won.

Mother will work up the flat of strawberries for the freezer, and I plan to eat the other four quarts (Hubbie will probably help me). Every year, we offer to help Mother wash and slice strawberries for the freezer, and every year, she rejects our help, because, she says, "I'd rather do it on my own, because I have my own little way of handling them."

Later, we had a supper of leftover potato soup, with yeast rolls. Mother went home after that, Hubbie went out to work in the yard, and I washed and sliced a quart of berries to snack on later.

0 comments: