Monday, July 19, 2010

Monday, July 19

Up at 7:30 and did a treadmill session and resistance exercises. Before I dressed, I accompanied Mother over to our house, where we immediately got busy making crafts for the fair. I finished the drop earrings, then made several beaded Christmas ornaments, and a plastic canvas patriotic pin. I also put together a gift basket of homemade beauty products.

It was lunchtime before I finished. After lunch, I showered and dressed, and did some laundry. Around 3:30, we went to the fairgrounds to enter plants and get exhibitor numbers for the rest of our entries.

Before we left, I gathered leftovers, and sliced green tomatoes to be fried for supper. Mother stayed at home to simmer a pot of canned white beans with onions and spices, heat the leftovers in the oven, fry the green tomatoes, and make white gravy. I advised her that I could do all of this when I got back from the fairgrounds, but she insisted on doing it herself. I didn't argue, since I don't want her to begin to feel helpless, and worse, useless.

It is beastly hot at the fairgrounds, and the women's building and plant and vegetable sheds are not air conditioned. I don't know how the workers will be able to tolerate the heat this week. And I feel for the animals on exhibit. At least, though, there are huge fans and water sprays for the large animals.

We got to the fairgrounds around 3:30, and had our entries placed by 4 p.m. Back home, Mother had supper underway, but I helped with it. She had the pan of beans simmering, leftovers in the oven, and was in the process of doing fried green tomatoes. I could tell she was feeling weak-kneed, though, and suggested she go sit down. I finished the tomatoes and made a skillet of white gravy. This is why I really don't want her doing a lot in the kitchen without my being present. I'd never forgive myself if she had a problem and I wasn't here.

She's getting pretty disgusted with herself for not being able to be as productive as in the past. The day we made tarjeteria cards, and she had shaky hands when trying to follow the pattern outlines, she complained that she wanted to be young again. For years, she has said she doesn't want to be one of those people who live to 100, and I've always told her she'd probably change her mind when she got closer to it. It's very frustrating not being able to do the things one once did.

On top of that, she's suffering some confusion, and admits it. Today, she had difficulty filling out the fair entry tags for her crafts and greeting cards. But with patience, my help, and a few laughs, we got the task done. I want to keep things lighthearted, because I don't want her to sink into depression. I hope she wins lots of blue ribbons at the fair, because that will definitely lift her spirits.

After supper, I accompanied Mother back to her house, and then I helped Hubbie gather tomatoes and banana peppers to enter in the fair. We'll take those, along with the crafts to the fairgrounds early in the morning...exhibits can be entered from 8 a.m. to noon.

Washed another load of clothes, and then settled in to watch TV. Tonight's fare was the movie, "When Strangers Appear." This 2001, R-rated, film stars Rahda Mitchell, Barry Watson, and Josh Lucas. It's an intense psychological drama. A waitress opens a diner, and in comes a drifter with a bloody wound to his torso. Soon, three surfers arrive. The drifter hides and beckons to the waitress that the surfers are after him. Who should the waitress trust?

0 comments: