Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sunday, July 18

Up at a little after 7 a.m., and after breakfast, I accompanied Mother to our front yard, where she sat in a lawn chair and advised Hubbie on plants suitable to enter in the fair tomorrow evening. He then wrote out the entry tags for them.

While they were doing that, I did a treadmill session and weights exercises, and got ready for the day. Then I did my usual Sunday things of programming the DVR, etc.

For lunch, I fixed acorn squash, baked with brown sugar substitute, cinnamon, and low-fat margarine, Parmesan potatoes, and braised pork chops, seasoned with no-salt seasoning, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder, and slices of sourdough bread.

Later, at 1:30, Mother, Hubbie, and I went to the museum to watch a reenactor, dressed in a mid-1800s backwoodsman costume, relate stories as a fictional character who lived in our area. The character was the creation of a local resident of the era, who became a popular writer for an eastern newspaper.

Today, the character told stories of the bear hunts he'd been on, of his political campaign, and of his penchant for horse racing. In real life, the reenactor is a staff member of our old statehouse museum in the capital city. He reenacts many historical characters, he said. He's a very talented and entertaining individual, and we really enjoyed his portrayal this afternoon.

Back home, I accompanied Mother to her house, and then worked to make a pair of drop earrings to enter in the fair. I've never tried making this type of jewelry, so I was all thumbs with it. But after three failed attempts, I finally managed to do a decent looking pair. The problem was, though, I didn't have a pair of ear wires for them, which meant I would have to go to the WDCS to buy some.

The earrings are supposed to be the easiest of the items in this kit. There are materials for a necklace and a bracelet, too, but I doubt I'll want to attempt them. I think I'm no threat to the jewelry makers of the world, including Sis, who makes lovely pieces, seemingly effortlessy. I plan to file this craft with basket and other types of weaving...as not for me.

Once I'd made the earrings, though, we shopped for the ear wires, and then swung by a one grocery store for lasagna noodles (because the WDCS doesn't carry the no-boil kind), and another grocery store for a carton of cottage cheese to make lasagna this week.

At home, I heated the rest of the leftover tomato soup for supper, which which we had with bread and margarine, followed by bowls of mixd fruit...grapes, strawberries, blueberries, and cherries.

Then we watched the movie, "Civic Duty," a 2006, R-rated film, starring Peter Krause. An accountant, who has lost his job, becomes obsessed with a neighbor, an Islamic student, deciding that he is a terrorist. He calls the FBI, and an agent advises him to stay away from the neighbor and let the agent pursue an investigation. Of course, the man ignores the advice, takes matters into his own hands, and things escalate.

0 comments: