Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sunday, Feb. 13

Today is Grandson's birthday. Happy 14th birthday, Grandson!



I was up around 7:30 this morning, but skipped my exercises, as I usually do at least once a week. Spent the morning as I do most Sundays...programming the DVR for the week's shows and movies, washing a couple of loads of laundry, and reading the newspaper.



Mother came over around 10:30. She and I both dressed up a little to go out for lunch. It was our Valentine treat to Mother. We went to a local steakhouse, where we each ordered a combo dinner. Mother chose the fried catfish and ribs, I got chicken and ribs, and Hubbie ordered steak and shrimp. For side orders, Mother got a baked sweet potato, I ordered okra, and Hubbie got a plain baked potato. Then we shared our selections.



Before we began our meal, I asked the waitress to bring us a take out box, so I could set aside the giant portion of ribs from Mother's combo meal. It's enough to feed us all for supper tomorrow night.



I gave Hubbie most of my portion of ribs, saving two small ribs for myself. And I gave half my chicken to Mother. Hubbie gave me several of his grilled shrimp, and Mother shared her sweet potato with me. I shared my okra with both Mother and Hubbie.



We each had a roll, but there were still three left to bring home. I like honey with my rolls, and asked the waitress twice to bring some. She finally obliged when she brought our meals out.



When we first arrived, the waitress brought big glasses of water, but apologized that the restaurant had run out of straws. She promised that some would arrive soon. We figured someone was sent to the WDCS across the street to purchase an emergency supply, because when she brought some to the table, they were the little plastic ones with bendable tops.



In the meantime, I requested that Mother be given a small Styrofoam cup for her water, because the glasses the restaurant provides are too large and heavy for her to lift.



We had arrived at the restaurant at 11:30, to beat the after-church crowd, but it wasn't long before folks were flocking into the building, all dressed in their Sunday best.



Just as we finished our meal, Hubbie knocked the little paper cup of hot dipping butter over, spilling it everywhere. Thank goodness, it didn't drip into my lap! When the waitress returned to pick up plates, I told her what Hubbie had done. "Why'd you do that?" she joked. I just wanted her to be aware of it and not try to mop it up like it was liquid instead of a greasy mess.



When we left the restaurant, we went to the WDCS, where I picked up white chocolate chips and semi-sweet chocolate chips, as well as peppermint disks, for making chocolate bark candy to donate to Caring Hands Hospice for their fundraiser.



Mother and I made the candy as soon as we returned home and changed clothes. Mother went home afterward, and I played on my computer, including posting a snapshot of Birthday Boy as an infant to my social network page.



When I came back downstairs, I found a small, beautifully wrapped package on the end table. It contained a stunning pair of earrings...a Valentine's gift from Hubbie.



Neither of us was very hungry at suppertime, so we settled for bowls of cereal and toast. Afterward, we went to the local theater to see, "The King's Speech," starring Colin Firth. there were four of us in the theater tonight.

This is a great movie about King George VI, who formed a lifelong freindship with his speech therapist. George VI succeeded to the throne when his brother, Edward, abdicated to marry a twice divorced American, Mrs. Wallis Simpson. But he had a serious speech impediment that threatened to derail him. His therapist helped him overcome his problem at a most critical hour.

Before we went to the movie, we stopped back by the WDCS, where we picked up several more bags of the white chocolate chips and semi-sweet chocolate chips, because they are on sale, and they will keep nicely in the freezer until we need to make candy again. I also picked up snapshots of last week's snow, which I'd ordered online this morning.

0 comments: