Friday, May 20, 2011

Friday, May 20

Slept really late this morning, and didn't get up until after 8 a.m. It felt very muggy in the house, and I mentioned this to Hubbie, but he pointed out that the room thermometer registered a comfortable 73 degrees. Didn't feel comfortable to me, though. But I did a treadmill session and weights exercises, anyway, after breakfast.

Mother came over while I was getting ready for the day and relaxed until I came downstairs. We didn't accomplish a lot other than planning next week's menu, and checking our storeroom to see what bulk supplies we might need when we shop at the warehouse store in a couple of weeks.

For lunch, I fixed milkshakes for Hubbie and myself, using thawed strawberries that had been in the fridge for a while and had become juicy and limp. I used the blender to finish juicing the strawberries, and then added a little chocolate syrup, ice cream, and a little milk to make the thick drinks. I made mine with fat-free ice cream, along with the fat-free milk, but made Hubbie's with regular ice cream. The shake was all I had for lunch, but Hubbie had peanut butter and crackers with his (blah).

Afterward, I set the DVR for Mother to see the Hallmark Channel movie, "The Edge of the Garden," that Hubbie and I saw a couple of nights ago. While she watched the movie, Hubbie and I ran errands...to the hydroponic farm for grape tomatoes; to a grocery store to pick up a free issue of a regional newspaper, and cans of butter beans and beef broth; and to the WDCS for a few grocery items.

As we crossed the river bridge into town on our way back from the hydroponic farm, we noticed the sky had darkened to a velvety blue-black, transforming the misty hills to purple, and the trees to blue-green, with the whole scene reflected in the swollen river. It was quite beautiful, though we knew it threatened a storm.

We hoped that it would hold off until we got back home. It did not. By the time we finished shopping at the WDCS, it was raining really hard, and there was crackling lightening and booming thunder.

Umbrella in hand, Hubbie ran to the van. I waited until he pulled up in front of the store, and then we hurried to load the groceries. But I still got wet enough to need a change a clothes and a hair dryer when we got home.

The movie Mother was watching was nearly over by the time we arrived, which was a good thing, because the power went off shortly afterward. Thankfully, it came back on within a few minutes. But the storm raged on through the rest of the afternoon and into the evening.

It was cooler outside, but still felt muggy in the house to me. So Hubbie checked the air conditioner. Sure enough, it isn't working correctly. So he called a heat and air repair service. We have been placed second on the repairman's Monday list. So I certainly hope the weather remains cool until then. If Hubbie had believed me this morning when I first mentioned the problem, maybe we could have gotten a repairman today. Phooey.

For supper tonight, we had leftover Dragon Soup, with slices of sourdough bread. Since it was still storming, Mother waited until it slacked, and then Hubbie accompanied her home.

Tonight, we watched the 2005 Movie Network feature, "A Lover's Revenge." A radio psychologist tries to help a woman leave an abusive relationship, but her fiance' catches her talking to the doctor on the phone, and threatens her if she tries to leave. She tries to escape, anyway but is hit by a car and killed. Now the fiance' blames the psychologist and plots revenge.

0 comments: