Monday, May 2, 2011

Monday, May 2

We heard the news of the killing of Osama Bin Laden, and President Obama's talk to the nation afterward before we went to bed last night. News of it dominated TV, and our state and local newspapers today, of course.

We got up around 8 a.m. on this very rainy, br-r-r cold day that required turning on the central heat, and I did a treadmill session and resistance exercises after breakfast.

When I finished my exercises, I found that Mother had already come over to begin working on her puzzle. Once I was ready for the day, I spent most of the rest of the morning writing captions for the snapshots I took at the school last Friday, which I then e-mailed to our regional newspaper for possible publication.

After lunch, Hubbie and I ran errands...to the river again, where I snapped more photos of the flooding of the past couple of days; and to a pharmacy store to take advantage of buy-one-get-another-half off bottles of nail polish, and to spend a coupon on a box of hair color. We hit the jackpot in getting AARP coupons...one of which is $5 off when we spend $20, and another for $3 off when I buy two boxes of hair color, plus a dollar off a box of tea bags.

From there, we went to a health store, where I picked up a bottle of multi-vitamins. Our last stop was to shop for groceries at the WDCS.

Back home, I checked my e-mail and found one from the Literacy Council director, alerting me that I would not be meeting with my new student tonight. Seems she is dropping the program, because she just found out that her young child has been diagnosed with cancer and is to undergo chemotherapy for the next several weeks. I absolutely hated to hear this, and my heart goes out to her.

So now I've been asked to work with a Venezuelan woman, about 50 years old, who wants to improve her English. I might need to brush up myself for this student! The lady wishes to meet in the afternoons, which is okay with me. I don't know this lady, but I do know her brother and sister-in-law.

Later, for supper, we had leftovers from Sunday's meal. Mother went home afterward, and I went to my office computer to upload snapshots of the flooding at the river to my social network page.

Then Hubbie and I watched TV, including tonight's episode of "Dancing with the Stars."

0 comments: