Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Wednesday, May 4

Today is the anniversary of my father's birthday.

I was up around 7:30 this morning, and did a treadmill session and resistance exercises after breakfast. Mother came over mid-morning and worked on her puzzle, while I was getting ready for the day.

I spent my morning washing sweaters and storing winter clothes. I unearthed summer garb a few days ago, but it's still stacked on a chair in my office, waiting for me to try things on to decide what to keep and what to discard. I hope to get to that chore tomorrow.

For lunch, I fixed turkey bacon/tomato/lettuce/sweet onion sandwiches on toasted sandwich rounds. Mother opted for her usual Ramen noodle soup.

After lunch, Hubbie and I ran errands...to take the word search contest puzzle to the newspaper office (Mother worked it again this week); to the art gallery to deliver a CD of snapshots to the director; to the bank; to the pharmacy; and to the store that has a sale every weekend, where I had hoped to spend a $10 coupon to buy a pair of summer weight pajamas for Mother as a Mother's Day gift. No dice. The only PJs the store had were cotton pants with t-shirt tops. Not suitable for Mother.

So we went to the WDCS, where I found some on a clearance rack. I think they are supposed to be winter ones, but they are lightweight enough for Mother, who gets chilled easily. I bought two pairs, one in size medium, and one in size large, for Mother to try on. I'll return the pair she doesn't want. I would have preferred the color blue for her, but pink was all that was available. Mother is perfectly happy with them, though.

From there, we stopped by a farm store for dog food. But all the store had was turkey flavor, and we don't know is Shih Tzu will like it. So Hubbie bought one can to try on her. If we go back for more, I want to take my camera, because the store has three tubs of cute chicks...some yellow, some black...that I want to photograph.

Our last stop was at the Literacy Council office, where I picked up the instruction manuals I'll need for tutoring my new student, beginning next Monday afternoon.

Back home, I didn't accomplish anything else before supper. Tonight, we had what Hubbie calls "dragon soup," because it's made from whatever we drag out of the freezer and fridge. Mother put the soup together, which consisted of a base of sauteed carrots, onions, and celery. To this was added diced tomatoes, and a container of frozen leftover veggies...green beans, corn, asparagus, peas, some baked beans, a little mac and cheese...plus chicken gravy, spaghetti sauce, fried potatoes, and ham from the fridge. A bag of frozen mixed veggies, and lots of herbs, helped make the soup really delicious. Mother had baked a batch of muffins this morning, which went very well with the soup.

Mother went home afterward, and Hubbie and I watched the Lifetime Movie Network movie, "Committed." A woman psychologist from New York accepts a position at a mental facility, but soon discovers that she is one of the "guests." The line blurs as to who are doctors, and who are guests at the facility.

0 comments: