Friday, May 6, 2011

Friday, May 6

We were up at 6:30 on this cool, but sunny morning so Hubbie could get ready to go to the fairgrounds at 8 a.m. to help the Master Gardeners price and arrange plants for the sale tomorrow.

While he was gone, I did a treadmill session and resistance exercises. Mother came over as I was doing that and began work on making a couple of Mother's Day cards for Sis and me.

Once I was ready for the day, I called the hydroponic farm store to reserve grape tomatoes and slicing tomatoes. Around 10:30, I went to the farm to pick them up. I also bought a yummy-looking bunch of lettuce while I was there. Since a roadside veggie stand is in the same area, I stopped there, too, to pick up a couple of quarts of strawberries.

My cell phone rang while I was driving, so when I stopped at the roadside stand, I called Hubbie to see if he was the one who rang. He had tried to call, he said, but he'd left a message on our home phone. He just wanted to let me know that there were stacks of plant-related books at the fairgrounds to be offered for sale tomorrow.

The books were donated by an elderly woman, who has been a part of the organization for many years, but who, along with her husband, is in failing health. The two had to move to an assisted living facility. There is not room in their apartment for the books.

Master Gardeners naturally had first choice of the books. Others had already chosen what they wanted, but there were still lots and lots of them left. Hubbie said I could take a look, if I wanted to. I did.

I found a number of books that intrigued me. I'm not a gardener, so I bypassed the gardening information ones in favor of the whimsical volumes, like "The Language of Flowers...a treasury of verse and prose," "Herbs of a Rhyming Gardener," which is another volume of verse, with accompanying cut-paper plant silhouettes, "The Food of Love... Containing the Delights, Vertues, Magickal Properties & Secret Recipes for all Manner of Exquisite Love Potions & Proven Aphrodisiacs," "Love Potions...a Book of Charms and Potions," "The Country Diary of an Edwardian Woman," "The Medieval Garden," and "Wildflower Folklore," among others.

While I was parked at the roadside veggie stand, I also found that I had a cell phone message from the husband of the lady I am to tutor, beginning next Monday afternoon. He wanted to know if his wife should bring anything with her that day, and I assured him she would need nothing, since we will spend that hour getting acquainted, setting days and times for future meetings, and assessing her skill level.

Back home, Hubbie changed clothes, and then we ran errands...to the bank, to a grocery store outdoor vending machine to pick up a newspaper, to the WDCS for groceries for the weekend, to a gas station, and to a second-hand store collection box to deposit a couple of bags of clothing.

Back home, I made a batch of bran muffins for Hubbie to take to the plant sale in the morning. Members were assigned to bring either breakfast or lunch foods, and Hubbie's last name put him on the breakfast list.

After that, I relaxed for a while before mixing a quadruple batch of whole wheat pancakes, which Hubbie cooked for our supper. We debated whether or not to have turkey bacon or eggs with the pancakes, but then opted for pancakes only.

Following supper, Mother and I individually wrapped the remaining pancakes in wax paper, and put them in freezer storage bags. Mother took a bag of them home to use for breakfasts, or times when she has supper at her house.

Hubbie and I spent the rest of the evening watching TV.

Sad: received the bad news today that an uncle to my children died of a massive heart attack this afternoon. It has been many years since I've seen this man...in fact, he was a youngster when I last saw him...but he is the younger brother of my former sister-in-law, with whom I have remained friends for the past forty years. My friend lives in California, so although we have stayed in touch, and she has visited me from time-to-time when she returns to our state, I have not had occasion to cross paths with her brother. My heart goes out to her, and to the rest of the family.

0 comments: