Sunday, May 8, 2011

Saturday, May 7

We set the clock for 6:30 a.m., because Hubbie needed to be at the fairgrounds by 7:30 to help with the Master Gardener plant sale, and Mother and I wanted to go to the sale early, before everything got picked over.

So as soon as Hubbie arose and went downstairs, I hopped up, too, and went directly to the bathroom to apply my makeup. Just as I finished, Hubbie looked in and asked what I was doing.

"Getting ready to go to the plant sale," I said, puzzled that he should have to ask.

"It's 4 a.m.," he said.

Seems he'd gotten up to walk Shih Tzu. So we had a good laugh and returned to bed. Fortunately, I was able to go back to sleep right away, and get back up at the planned 6:30 hour.

Hubbie put the bran muffins I made yesterday into the oven, and we had breakfast while they heated. He took the muffins, along with a tub of margarine to the sale. Later, he said the muffins disappeared within minutes of their arrival. I guess I should have made more for him to take.

Mother and I wanted to be at the sale around 8 a.m., so she came over just before that time. But before we could go to the van, there came a thunderstorm and heavy rain. We waited about thirty minutes, until the rain slacked, and then went to the fairgrounds.

Hubbie helped me get the wheelchair out of the van, and we got into the building where the sale was held just moments before another thunderstorm with frog-stangling rain cropped up again. Our county appears to have been the only one in the state to be graced with this unwelcome rain.

Mother was interested in buying impatiens and tomato plants, of which there were a limited number. She bought all the impatiens that were available, as well as the type of tomato plants that she prefers. I browsed the plant books again and turned up two more of interest.

Around 9:30, Sis called. She was at our house, but joined us at the fairgrounds as soon as the storm passed. She bought a wagon load of plants, as well as several books.

Back home, I decided that soup was in order on this rain-chilled day, so I got a container of broth with chicken out of the freezer, which we quick-thawed. Mother added noodles to the broth, and while the soup cooked, I made a batch of muffins to go with it.

The soup was nice and warming on this rainy day. Hubbie, of course, had to satisfy himself with cold nibbles provided at the sale, which ended shortly after 1 p.m. He spent the rest of the afternoon planting the impatiens and tomato plants, as well as other plants he obtained.

Mother and Sis spent the afternoon working a jigsaw puzzle, while I perused the books I'd bought at the plant sale. Later, I sauteed onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms for wheat bagel pizzas, and prepared salad veggies.

After supper, Mother, Sis, and I changed clothes to go to a local high school to see "The Music Man." The production was held in the school's cafetorium, where seating was a choice of metal folding or plastic molded chairs.

We took Mother's wheelchair, of course, including the padded chair seat. We also took stadium pillows for Sis and me. When we arrived, we placed Mother's wheelchair in a space where we thought she would have the most unobstructed view. But Sis and I had no sooner settled in than a 500 lb. man plunked down in the chair directly in front of Mother.

So we moved to the other side of the aisle, where a man obligingly moved some chairs out of the way to accommodate Mother. Her chair was slightly out into the aisle, where she had a good view of the stage.

The play was good, though not as good as the one we saw in the town where Niece lives (Great-Niece and Great-Nephew had minor roles in that one). No matter who does the play, though, the music is always delightful. The only objection we had to the production was that the sets were much too elaborate, which meant that the stage hands took an inordinately long time changing the scenes behind the curtain.

The costumes were great, and certain youngsters turned in strong performances. We were especially charmed by the child who portrayed the boy who spoke with a lisp. The play ended around 9:30.

Back home, we indulged in strawberry shortcake...slices of angel food cake topped with strawberries and whipped topping. After we watched a couple of one-hour shows, Mother and Sis went to Mother's house, and Hubbie and I headed to bed.

Note: today the mail brought special Mother's Day cards with perfect sentiments from my three kids. Mother received cards, too. Daughter chose musical cards, which both surprised and delighted us.

0 comments: