Saturday, May 14, 2011

Saturday, May, 14

Had a restless night...Hubbie got up at 4 a.m. to walk Shih Tzu, and after he came back to bed and fell asleep, he kept me awake with his sleep-apnea sudden and loud intakes of breath. Not only that, but at one point, he turned over and, while snoring, began vigorously scratching my leg. I think he must have been dreaming he was scratching one of the cats.

Anyway, I finally decided to get up around 6 a.m. Hubbie soon followed. We postponed breakfast, and I skipped my exercises in favor of dressing for the day to go to the Caring Hands Hospice yard and bake sale that began at 7 a.m. Mother went, too.

Wow, it was chilly outside! And downright cold at the sale, held in the office's drive-through underpass, which acted as a wind tunnel. We wore light jackets and still were none too warm, but the three women working at the sale wore only t-shirts. So even their goose bumps had goose bumps.

Hubbie didn't find anything he wanted at the sale, so he beat a hasty retreat to the van. But Mother and I braved the chill to browse until she found a puzzle book and a table runner, and I found an armload of novels and a loaf of homemade bread.

Back home, we had a breakfast of orange juice for me, cereal for Hubbie, and slices of the bread for all three of us, plus cups of steaming coffee, which was wonderfully warming after our excursion.

Mother went back to her house afterward, and Hubbie relaxed in his recliner and watched the morning news, while I sewed buttons on the sleeves of two blouses. Unfortunately, while I was attempting to attach the small buttons (there are two on each short sleeve) I tiddlywinked one of them somewhere into the recesses of the couch. Hubbie and I both searched for it, to no avail. Drat it.

I tried to find a similar one in my button box, but in rummaging through it, I discovered that the bottom of the wooden box had come detached, allowing buttons to escape. So I poured the contents on a table, and after Hubbie repaired the box, he helped me remove buttons from cardboard backings, and empty little plastic zip lock bags of them (these are ones that were attached as spares to new clothes). Wasn't able to find a button to match the one on my blouse, though.

Later, I decided I wanted to go to a couple of warehouse stores. I was hoping to find oval clear glass Christmas ornaments to create designs on with etching cream. Someone on the arts council happened upon the ornaments, in nice blue gift boxes, at only fifty cents apiece, and thought council artists could paint designs on them to sell as a fundraiser. So the council director bought a stack of them. She must have gotten them all, because there were none left today.

At one of the stores, though, I bought a pair of inexpensive binoculars. Hubbie has a pair that we adjusted to his vision while we were camping last year, and I needed a pair to adjust to my vision so we can bird watch together.

We didn't do much else the rest of the afternoon. At 3:30, Hubbie met a haircut appointment, and while I played with my binoculars, Mother prepared a recipe of Parmesan potatoes, which we had with a choice of hamburger, turkey burger, or hot dog on buns, and corn-on-the-cob for supper.

Actually, there was no corn-on-the-cob in the freezer, so I called Hubbie while he was out, and he stopped by the WDCS to buy a bag. Seems like no matter how many trips we make to the store, we rarely manage to get everything needed for meals.

Mother went home after supper, and Hubbie and I watched TV, including the 2009 Lifetime Movie Network feature, "Final Verdict." On flimsy evidence and without a body, a man is accused of murdering his wife. The successful prosecution puts a young lawyer on the fast track to assistant D.A. in a big city. Eight years later, the body turns up, and new evidence forces the court to overturn the conviction of the imprisoned man. He is set free pending a new trial, and proceeds on a path of vegeance.

0 comments: