Monday, May 9, 2011

Monday, May 9

Up at 7:30. After breakfast, I called our computer tech to help me figure out what my wi-fi password is, so Sis could access the Internet. Luckily, the tech was the one who answered the phone, and he helped me resolve the situation quickly.

Next, I called a roadside vendor to reserve a flat of strawberries, which Mother will work up for the freezer.

I then called Mother and Sis on the intercom to give Sis the password. But she was still unable to access the Internet, because the signal was too weak. So she and Mother came to our house, where Sis had no trouble getting online.

Mother worked on her jigsaw puzzle, and Sis used her laptop, while I got ready for the day. Afterward, Sis and I ran errands...to a farm supply store to look for a squirrel feeder (a Mother's Day gift request from Mother, but there were none); and to the WDCS, where there wasn't a squirrel feeder, either. But we shopped for groceries while we were there.

Back home, we had a lunch of the remainder of the chicken noodle soup, with the remainder of the bran muffins. Then Sis and I ran more errands...to a grocery store to pick up cottage cheese; to a grocery store/pharmacy to pick up a prescription and a couple of cans of butter beans for supper; to the roadside market to pick up the flat of strawberries, plus a couple of more quarts to munch on; and finally, to a home improvement store, where Sis again looked for a squirrel feeder. No dice. So she picked up a couple of six packs of impatiens to add to the ones Mother bought at the plant sale Saturday. Happy extended Mother's Day to Mother.

While we were gone, Mother put together a meatloaf, which we had for supper, with baked potatoes, topped with sour cream and chopped green onions from the garden, a choice of butter beans or Lima beans, and sliced tomatoes with cottage cheese.

Today at 4 p.m., I was supposed to meet for the first time with a new Literacy Council student at a local college library, but around 3:30 p.m., a child called to say that the student could not meet with me today, because a grandmother had fallen and broken her hip (we think this lady may be someone we have known for many years...she has been afflicted with Alzheimer's for a long time).

I reported to the Literacy Council director that my student had cancelled our meeting tonight, to which she responded: "If I were a "betting man" I would have bet that tonight's meeting would have gone off without a hitch." Hubbie jokingly wondered if all these cancellations is a sign that I am not meant to pursue this volunteer activity.

After supper, Mother and Sis resumed the jigsaw puzzle, Hubbie continued working in the yard, and I grabbed my camera and went around the yard shooting images of flowers and plants.

As we were coming in the back door of the house, Mother and Sis were going out the front door...they decided to go to Mother's house to wash and slice strawberries for the freezer.

Hubbie and I spent the rest of the evening watching TV, including tonight's episode of "Dancing with the Stars."

2 comments:

Ann crum said...

Thanks for the password! Love, Your Sis...in the next room..lol

Sixty Something said...

You're welcome. I should have thought of it sooner.