Monday, June 20, 2011

Monday, June 20

Up around 7:30, and did a treadmill session and weights exercises after breakfast. Once I was ready for the day, I spent time preparing a lesson plan for a tutoring session with my student this afternoon.

In the meantime, Hubbie called the highway department about the dead deer that has been bloating in the ditch at the west corner of our yard since last Friday. But no one came today to remove it, and it's getting very odoriferous.

Mother stayed home this morning. She had several personal tasks to complete. Hubbie spent time in the yard.

At noon, Mother came over, and we had leftover barbecue, potato salad, and baked beans for lunch. Mother went back to her house afterward. At 2:15, I went down to the college library to meet my student.

We worked on the differences among: "I want to, I need to, I like to", with sentences such as "I want to buy a jacket," "I need to buy bread," and "I like to go shopping." We also worked on: "I like," and "I don't like," with questions such as, "Do you like apples or oranges?"

We also noted the difference in "This is my watch. It is here." And, "That is my watch. It is there." She learned the meanings of open and close, and bring, have, and come, as well as do and don't.

In the word list, she had trouble pronouncing refrigerator. But once I broke it down for her, and she practiced it a few times, she got it.

At 4:30, I came back home and changed clothes to go to our arts council's Summer Celebration. It began at 6:30, but we wanted to arrive at six to get a good table and avoid the crowd.

The crowd was much thinner this year than last, however, because (I think) of the rather steep ticket price. As usual, the food selection included many items with yellow cheese, which I couldn't eat...cheese dip, stuffed mushrooms with yellow cheese, ham roll-ups with yellow cheese, etc. I ate three or four tortilla chips with salsa, fresh veggies and dressing, roast pork on a bun, and a couple of chocolate desserts. Our ticket price included two drinks...either beer or wine. We chose wine.

A live band, with Elvis-like singer, performed, and Hubbie and I took a couple of turns around the floor. The event included both a live and silent auction. We came home with a Kindle e-reader, a subscription to our local newspaper, and tickets to a symphony concert.

We were back home around 9 p.m., and watched a couple of one-hour TV shows, and then headed to bed.

0 comments: