Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sunday, August 14

Up around 8:30 on this perfectly beautiful, lower-temp-lower-humidity morning. Skipped my exercises. It was a pretty typical Sunday morning, reading the newspaper, programming the DVR, washing a couple of loads of clothes, etc.

Mother came over mid-morning, and we planned the menu for this week. Later she braised pork chops for our lunch, which we had with minute rice, leftover squash and English peas, and sliced tomatoes. I accompanied her home afterward.

Hubbie and I went grocery shopping at a couple of grocery stores and the WDCS after lunch. We couldn't help laughing at a young man at one of the grocery stores whose pants were so big and baggy that he had to hold them up as he walked. Hubbie wondered what folks would think if he started wearing his pants like that. "They'd think you'd escaped from the nursing home," I said.

Back home, I uploaded photos to my social network page, and burned the ones I took at the Shakespeare workshop Friday to a CD to be given to the arts council director.

Then Hubbie and I wasted the remainder of the afternoon and evening watching disaster movies I'd recorded on DVR from the SyFy Channel. One was about a volcano that threatens mankind, the other was about someone who has visions about disasters in the future that threaten mankind.

This afternoon, I received an email from my friend in Springfield. Lots of medical problems in her family. Her husband is suffering complications from prostate surgery, and he developed congestive heart failure in March. He now has breathing problems that require an inhaler. Her brother has rectal cancer and is taking chemo every day in an attempt to shrink the tumor for surgery. Her husband's brother had a heart attack and has so many other health problems he can't have surgery despite two blocked arteries...one 90% and one 70%. These folks are all in their mid to late 80s. Fortunately, my friend is still in reasonably good health. She needs to be to cope with all that. I can't imagine how stressed she must feel right now. Makes our own problems seem insignificant.



0 comments: