Monday, October 31, 2011

Monday, Oct. 31

Up around 7 a.m. Didn't go to water aerobics, since I wanted to be home this morning to contact the doctor's office to report Mother's progress, and to find out what I could give her for constipation. I didn't want to risk giving her something that would irritate her ulcer.

After breakfast, I did a treadmill session and resistance exercises. Then I helped Mother take a shower and get settled into her rocking chair.

By the time I was ready for the day, it was already time for lunch. Mother opted for macaroni and cheese, and Hubbie and I had sandwiches. Afterward, Hubbie shopped for groceries at the WDCS, and I reviewed the lesson plan for my student this afternoon.

At 2 p.m., I helped Mother get ready for an afternoon nap, and shortly thereafter, I went down to the college to meet my student.

Today, she learned how to use "the same," and "different:" This pencil is yellow. That pencil is yellow. The pencils are the same color. And, This pen is blue. That pen is black. The pens are different colors.

She also used the comparisons, as...as: John is 25. Mary is 25. Mary is as old as John is.

Using verbs (see, hear, know, want, need, and like) with no -ing in the present time made her think a bit: I sit her every day. I'm sitting (with -ing) here every day. I speak English every day. I'm speaking English every day. I see my teacher every day. I see (not seeing) my teacher every day. I like Jack. I like (not liking) Jack.

We ended the session with a review of the chapter.

Back home at 4:30, I found that Mother had awakened about 40 minutes before I arrived, and was ready to visit the bathroom. I'd alerted Hubbie that if Mother needed me before my session was over, he was to call me. I was less than five minutes from home.

I put leftovers from yesterday's lunch into the oven for our supper. After supper, the nurse from the doctor's office called to tell me what kind of laxative to give to Mother. Hubbie went to a grocery store to fetch it, and I administered a dose to her right away. Hopefully, the med will solve Mother's problem by morning.

The nurse also suggested that I take Mother in for a visit with the doctor tomorrow, instead Thursday, as previously scheduled. So I'll call for an appointment in the morning.

Later, we watched an episode of "Dancing with the Stars." It was a cute show, with the contestants in spooky costumes dancing to Halloween songs. Mother watched it and enjoyed it, but was ready to go to bed as soon as the show ended.

0 comments: