Saturday, November 5, 2011

Saturday, Nov. 5

Tired last night, but had trouble going to sleep. Finally drifted off around 2 a.m. It was nearly 8 a.m., before I woke up. Mother was already awake.

Once she was settled in the den, and we'd all had breakfast, I did a session on the treadmill, followed by weights exercises. It was nearly noon by the time I got ready for the day and did a couple of things around the house, including setting two pots of turnips to boiling that Hubbie had peeled earlier. Hubbie discovered that some of the turnips that a neighbor had brought from his garden were beginning to spoil, so we knew we needed to get them into the freezer.

Hubbie and I weren't hungry for lunch, but since Mother had only eaten a piece of toast, with a cup of coffee, she was ready to eat. I served her Ramen noodle soup, with a side of crackers and butter.

She returned to bed after lunch, and Hubbie and I ran a couple of errands, and stopped by the fairgrounds to visit the Extension Homemakers Holiday Craft Fair. We made one turn of the booths, at one of which I bought a small jar of pepper jelly, and at another of which I bought a plate of yeast rolls. I was assured that the pepper jelly was mild. We bought a jar at Branson recently that was way too hot for both Hubbie and me.

I bought the rolls mainly because the lady selling them commented that she'd stayed up half the night baking, since she'd run out of goods yesterday. Today, though, folks weren't buying, she said.

Besides the craft fair, we went to a couple of grocery stores looking for cardamon, and found some on sale at one of them. We also picked up two cases of chicken broth at 50 cents a can. Then we went to the everything's a dollar store, before stopping at the WDCS for a few items, including a package of resistance band for me to use in exercising. I broke the two I had.

Back home, Mother was still propped up in bed working on puzzle books, and she remained there for the afternoon.

Since Hubbie and I hadn't eaten lunch, and it was now after 2 p.m., we grabbed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and an apple. Afterward, I put the cooled turnips into freezer bags, keeping aside a container of them for a meal next week.

When Granddaughter reads about the turnips, I'm sure she will be reminded of the time several years ago when we encouraged her to try "just a bite" of the vegetable. When she did she made the most awful face, but fearing she'd offend me, she held the detested food in her mouth until I laughed and told her to spit it out. I'm sure she hasn't allowed a turnip to pass her lips since.

Around 4 p.m., Mother was ready to get up, and have an early supper. So I fixed her a scrambled egg (one of a couple of dozen that Sis brought from her laying hens a couple of weeks ago), plus toast and jelly, and a cup of coffee. She declared the supper delicious.

Around 6:30, though, she was ready to head back to bed. Later, Hubbie and I watched a movie on DVD..."Bigger Than the Sky," a 2005 comedy/romance about a young man whose girlfriend broke up with him, and who is a shrinking violet at work and everywhere else in his life. Tired of being "invisible," he happens on a small community theater and decides to audition for Cyrano de Bergerac, though he has never done theater before. The director finds that he is perfect for the lead, though at the first read-through, he sounds very amateurish reading his lines. There's nowhere to go but up from there. This was another of the $1 DVDs I bought at a recent yard sale.

After that, we watched our favorite college football team play to a win. I'd recorded the game on DVR.

0 comments: