Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Tuesday, Nov. 1

Another month swiftly gone, and here we are in November.

Up around 7 a.m. Mother was awake, and apparently had been awake for about an hour. I helped her take care of her needs and get settled in her rocking chair in the den. But it wasn't long before she began complaining of stomach cramps (caused by the laxative she took last night). The cramps increased as time passed, and soon it was necessary to help her back to the bathroom again.

We were both hoping that the laxative was working. But her pains got worse, and she became woozy and nauseated. But she was still not able to have a movement. So I helped her back to bed, where soon nausea overcame her again. We returned to the bathroom, with me practically having to carry her because she was so weak.

We spent a harrowing 20 minutes or so, with her doubled over in pain, nauseated, and woozy to the point I had to hold her head for her. Finally, she succeeded, after which she was so weak from nausea and dizziness that I practically carried her back to bed again.

Though the nurse yesterday advised that I should take her to the clinic today, Mother was so weak after her bathroom effort that I decided to wait until after she napped, so I could see if she was strong enough to walk, because if she couldn't walk, then it would be impossible for her to hoist herself into the van.

She slept all afternoon, and continued to feel weak. So I decided she needed a bedside potty chair, and started the process of obtaining one around 2 p.m. Fortunately, we know the folks at Caring Hands and at a medical supply/pharmacy, so we were able to expedite the matter by around 4 p.m., when Mother woke up needing a potty.

While she took care of business, I changed her bed, and then helped her back into it.

Then I made a batch of quick-set Jell-o for her, since I knew her stomach wasn't up to anything more. She ate enough of it to be able to take her blood pressure and ulcer meds.

I think we may soon need to engage both a visiting nurse, and a home health therapist...the nurse to draw blood, etc., and the therapist to help her strengthen through exercise.

This afternoon, while Mother slept, I made a big pot of chili for Hubbie's and my supper. We usually have chili on Halloween, but I didn't have all the ingredients I needed yesterday, so I put it off until today. It turned out really good...good enough that Hubbie ate two bowls of it.

We spent the evening as usual...watching TV, including the elimination episode of "Dancing with the Stars."

Mother slept all evening, rising only to take care of potty needs, before returning to bed for the night.

0 comments: