Sunday, October 2, 2011

Sunday, Oct. 2

Slept late this morning. Needed the rest after a very busy week. Skipped my exercises this morning. Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house, and she started a pot of beans simmering, while I got ready for the day.

I spent the rest of the morning as usual...washing clothes, reading the Sunday newspaper, programming the DVR. Our lunch of beans and ham, boiled new potatoes, turnips, and cornbread was delicious.

After lunch, we watched a couple of classic horror shows..."Sleepy Hollow," with Johnny Depp, and "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde," with Michael Caine, both on VHS tapes. We enjoyed them, but I'd like to own them on DVD. Tapes are so inadequate on today's TVs.

During the second feature, we enjoyed a mid-afternoon snack of chocolate cake and peach cobbler, with Chai tea.

Following the movies, I accompanied Mother to her house. Then Hubbie and I watched "The Chronicles of Narnia: the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe," on DVR. In the middle of this long movie, we had oatmeal and toast with jelly for supper. Oatmeal is not my favorite dish, but I was in the mood for something warm on this cool evening.

Note: recently, our chiming pendulum clock quit keeping time. I bought the clock about fifteen years ago at a discount outlet. Since it wasn't worth fixing, I ordered a new one online. The new one arrived a couple of days ago. The wood of the clock is dark instead of light, and its somewhat smaller than the old one, but it chimes the same tune in a slightly different, still pleasing, tone.

When I bought the first clock, I feared Hubbie would not like the hourly chiming but, surprisingly, he seemed charmed by it. After a while, we weren't really conscious of the chiming, but when the clock stopped, we really missed hearing that familiar, and comforting, hourly tune. Even Mother was anxious to have another similar clock.

2 comments:

Ann crum said...

Glad you found a clock to replace the other one!

Sixty Something said...

Thanks! Checked eBay, but those listed were more expensive by the time shipping charges were added than a new one.