Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Tuesday, Oct. 30

Slept late this morning, until around 8 a.m. After breakfast, Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house, and we started a pot of chili simmering. Mother chopped the veggies for it.

Once the chili was on the stove, I did stair stepping, resistance bands, and weights exercises, while Hubbie ran errands.

By the time I was ready for the day, it was already 11:30 and time for Mother's lunch. I fixed Ramen noodle soup for her, and then when Hubbie returned, we had a sandwich lunch.

After lunch, Mother went to the couch for a nap, and I started the movie musical, "Sweeney Todd," starring Johnny Depp. This is a pretty bloody movie, so I didn't think Mother would want to see it, and I turned the sound way down low. But in a few minutes, here she came to watch it. She just didn't want to be left out, I guess.

At 2:30, I stopped the movie so I could go to my dentist's office for a 3 p.m. appointment. The hygienist had made the appointment, so she could check that bothersome tooth that suddenly developed pockets. Today, when she examined it, she found it much improved. I asked if the Water Pik I use could be causing the problem, and she said yes, if used incorrectly. Apparently, I was using it incorrectly, and she showed me the correct procedure. Now, I will not need to return for another exam until February.

Back home, we finished the movie, and then I heated leftovers from Sunday for our supper. Afterward, I accompanied Mother home, and then Hubbie and I watched TV, including the 2011 movie, "Contagion," starring Matt Damon. This is a disaster movie, of course, in which a lethal pandemic creates an immediate need for vaccine to combat it. Pretty scary for Halloween, since this is something that could actually happen.

Note: we have been plagued with fruit flies for a while. Our pest control guy treated for them, but the flies seemed impervious to the treatment. We stored all food away from the flying pests, and thoroughly cleaned the kitchen, but nothing seemed to help.

Finally, on Saturday, I researched online for ideas, and found one I thought might work...I placed a Mandarin orange in a bowl, and poured some balsalmic vinegar in the bottom (the flies are attracted to the strong scent of the vinegar). I then stretched a piece of plastic wrap tightly over the bowl, and pierced it several times with a dessert fork. I left the bowl on the counter overnight, and lo and behold, on Sunday morning, the bowl was filled with fruit flies.

They crawled in through the tiny holes, but are unable to get out. Nearly all of the flies are gone now, but I'll leave the bowl on the counter for another day or two, until the fruit goes south, to attract as many as possible.

0 comments: