Thursday, November 1, 2012

Thursday, Nov. 1

November 1. Another month gone already. As usual, I didn't accomplish all that I meant to, but then I never do.

We were up at 7:30. I skipped my exercises after breakfast, so I could get ready to go to an 11 a.m. Caring Hands Hospice appreciation luncheon at a local Italian restaurant.

Didn't have time to accomplish much, other than making beauty shop appointments for Mother and me, before it was time to leave around 10:30. It's not far to the restaurant, but it takes a little while to help Mother get in and out of the van, and into a restaurant.

We arrived around 10:45, and by the time Mother had walked to the meeting room at the far end of the restaurant, she was pooped and trembling. But she had refused to use the wheelchair, I guess because she wanted the staff to think she is stronger than she really is. But she has actually lost strength since the therapists stopped working with her, because she promptly quit exercising with no one around to push her.

It was a nice luncheon, though a bit emotional when workers described their experiences tending to dying patients. I admire the hospice nurses, the clergy, and the volunteers, who dedicate themselves to this heartbreaking work.

Their work makes the tasks the rest of us volunteers do seem insignificant, though we are assured that everything we do helps add to the quality of life for the patients and their families.

We learned today that though many of the dying are elderly, as can be expected, there is a growing number of younger patients...30 to 50 years old...in hospice. No one knows why. But I figure it's a combination of environment and lifestyle changes in recent history.

On a lighter note, the staff did a great job of decorating...vases of sunny flowers and butterflies, and colorful placemats made from printed card stock encased in contact paper. Printed on the card stock was the "Legend of the Butterfly." It said:

An ancient legend of the butterfly states that, as a gift to his human children, the Great Spirit created butterflies. He took black from the maiden's hair, yellow from the warm summer sun, and blues from the lake and sky. Once he gathered the most beautiful of colors, He made them into butterflies.

If you want a special wish to come true, capture a butterfly and whisper your heart's desire to it. Since butterflies make no sound, they cannot tell the wish to anyone but Him. Being so colorful, the butterflies will easily be seen and the heart's prayers quickly answered.

By making a wish and releasing the butterfly, it will be taken on the wings of love to the heavens and granted. Softly whisper your wish for their eternal love and bliss, then carefully release and free the beautiful creature.

For Ancient Greeks, the transformation of butterfly from pupa to adult was a metaphor of the soul's resurrection and immortality.

Native Americans embroidered butterflies onto their children's caps to bring sweet dreams.

At each place were slips of paper with inspirational sayings related to volunteers: "Volunteers, a precious resource we cannot afford to lose." Denise Penn; "No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." And, "Discover why some of the richest people in the world are not millionaires, they are volunteers." Jubail Barcelona.

A couple of staff members gave short talks in praise of the volunteers, and then we were each given certificates of appreciation, and little gifts. The women received small change purses, and the men received mugs filled with miniature candy bars.

We were encouraged to order whatever we wanted from the menu. Mother opted for quiche and fruit, while Hubbie and I chose pasta topped with chicken and veggies...onions, red and green bell peppers, and zucchini squash, along with a side of mixed fruit. We all had more than we could eat and brought part of it home.

Before we left the restaurant, the volunteer coordinator asked us to make Christmas cards, so I will need to find a free day or two soon to do that.

Back home, Mother headed straight to the couch for a nap. Outings, even small ones, tire her. But she thoroughly enjoyed the luncheon today.

While she napped, Hubbie and I rode our bikes, so I could get some exercise today, since I skipped my session this morning. It was a perfect fall day for a ride.

At home, I read a book on my e-reader that I borrowed from the library, and which will be removed in three days. I'm a little over halfway done with it, so I need to bear down on it if I'm going to finish in time.

When Mother woke up, we watched this week's episodes of "Dancing With the Stars," and then had supper around 6 p.m. Mother wanted Ramen noodle soup, and Hubbie and I decided on bowls of chili.

Afterward, I accompanied Mother to her house, and then Hubbie and I watched TV, as usual. While we did that, I completed a monthly Literacy Council report.








0 comments: