Friday, November 2, 2012

Friday, Nov. 2

Up at 6:30 to get ready for water aerobics. Cool morning, with the promise of warmer weather later in the day. Twenty of us attended, which was more than I expected on a Friday, when folks generally have other weekend things to do. The water was warm, and I really enjoyed it.

The drive home was pretty. The sun was high enough that it set the arch of autumn trees aglow along the winding road down the hill from the college.

Back home, I had one cup of coffee, and then hurried to get ready for the day, so we could go to the fairgrounds for the annual Extension Homemakers Holiday Craft Fair. Among the craft items we bought was a really cute bird feeder in the shape of a country store. It was only $5! The vendor said she was selling that one and another for $5 just to get rid of them. I was glad we found it, because it'll be a perfect gift for the Master Gardener "Dirty Santa" exchange during the Christmas party next month. I also found a hand-painted glass Christmas ornament for our "white" Christmas tree.

Bought three pints of jelly/jam, too...peach, blackberry, and tomato. I'm very curious about the tomato one. Picked up a couple of brownies, and an mini-loaf of chocolate pound cake, too, to have as dessert with our lunch later. Got these mainly to support a local college student organization that is fundraising for a children's charity.

We were back home around noon, and I heated Mother's leftover spinach quiche from yesterday for her lunch, while Hubbie and I had the leftover pasta/chicken/veggie dish. Had the chocolate goodies for dessert, of course, along with dishes of mixed fruit from yesterday.

Mother headed to the couch for a nap afterward, while Hubbie and I ran errands.

Before we left, though, I noticed Hubbie going to and from the storeroom with a wet cloth. What was he doing, I asked? "I dropped the jar of blackberry jelly we bought at the craft fair," he frowned, "and it smashed all over the floor." I must have been upstairs when that happened, because I didn't hear the shatter of glass on that tile floor! I hate that we lost that jar of jelly, but oh well.

Once he got the mess cleaned up, we left on our errands...first to a dollar store to look for Christmas stickers and other things for an etched glass project at the gallery Sunday afternoon. Hubbie and I will join the art council director to make designs on clear glass ornaments to add to other ornaments that will be offered for sale beginning November 17.

I only found one card of snowflake stickers at the dollar store that I think will work on the project. At the WDCS, I found a couple of other cards of stickers...one of scroll designs, and another of stars. I might have to raid my own supplies for other designs.

Found the other things I'll need, though, like cotton swabs, protective gloves, rubbing alcohol, and face masks, at the dollar store.

At the WDCS, I also began buying supplies for a graham cracker cookie Christmsa house workshop for kids, scheduled for the first Saturday in December.

At home, Mother woke up around 4 p.m., and she and I headed to the kitchen to begin supper preparations. She diced an onion, and shredded Monterey Jack cheese for Ziplock bag omelets. I sauteed the onions in olive oil, with mushrooms and bell peppers, and then added the veggies to egg substitute in the bags, along with spices. Biscuits with a choice of honey or peach preserves, and hot coffee, completed the meal.

Accompanied Mother to her house afterward, and waited for her to shower before returning home. Spent the rest of the evening watching TV, as usual.



0 comments: