Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Wednesday, Oct. 31

Today is Halloween. Happy Halloween to everyone! I say this even as my heart goes out to our friends on the east coast, who are struggling with the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.

Up at 6:30 this morning to get ready for water aerobics. Our leader reminded us on Monday to wear something Halloween-ish today. The only thing I could turn up was a black swimsuit with a net bodice that could be interpreted as either a black cat or a witch.

I left home just after sunrise, when the sun was just high enough to cast an orangy glow over the tops of the autumn trees. At the same time, a full moon shone in the west as brightly as if it were night. Puffy, soft gray clouds, rimmed in glowing pink, drifted past the moon. Very strange to see the sun and the moon together like that.

The pool was a bit chilly today, but tolerable. Several members showed up in "costumes," mainly masks or hats. One woman wore a rubber mask that featured long blond hair and swim goggles. I'm not sure who she was supposed to be.

Another woman wore a khaki bucket hat with an owl attached to the front, and a pair of large, black-rimmed, nerdy, eyeglasses. I assumed she was a "birdwatcher." Like me, one woman wore a plain black swimsuit. Her hair is naturally very dark brown, almost black (or was, when she was young...it is now dyed), with a gray steak on one side. She could have been portraying Frankenstein's bride, but I didn't inquire.

Our leader wore a shocking pink wig, topped with a glittering black and gray striped fedora hat. The best "costume," though, was worn by a man...a khaki colored baseball cap with a catfish appearing to swim through it from back to front.

There are among us some who delight in the fantasy of Halloween, and then there are some (like one particular woman) who just want the holiday to be over, because they think it promotes evil.

Before the session began, one of the women asked to be allowed to sing a Halloween song for us:

Halloween
(Harry Behn)

Tonight is the night
When dead leaves fly
Like witches on switches
Across the sky,
When elf and sprite
Flit through the night
On a moony sheen.

Tonight is the night
When leaves make a sound
Like a gnome in his home
Under the ground,
When spooks and trolls
Creep out of holes
Mossy and green.

Tonight is the night
When pumpkins stare
Through sheaves and leaves
Everywhere,
When ghoul and ghost
And goblin host
Dance round their queen.
It's Halloween.

At the end of the song, she let out a blood-curdling scream that startled us.

The first song of a CD our leader played for aerobics was the theme from the movie, "Ghost Busters." The lady who hates Halloween didn't recognize the song. "I've never seen the movie," she said. Well, I don't think I've seen it either, but I certainly recognize the song!

In the middle of the session, there came a loud, deep-throated moan from the direction of the gym. We never did find out what that was all about, but it was kind of creepy.

Back home, I thawed out with a couple of cups of coffee, and then got ready for the day. In the meantime, Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house. It was 11:30 by the time I came back downstairs...time for Mother's lunch, which, as usual, was Ramen noodle soup. Hubbie and I opted for sandwiches.

Following lunch, Mother and I watched the movie musical, "Cats," while Hubbie ran errands. He isn't a fan of musicals, though Mother and I love them.

As soon as the movie ended, Mother headed to the couch for a nap. While she slept, I did a couple of loads of laundry, and played on my laptop.

Mother woke about 4:30, ready to watch a movie on DVR..."The Addams Family." We enjoyed this amusing movie as we had chili topped with sour cream, and crackers and cheese, for supper.

When the movie ended, I accompanied Mother to her house, and waited until she showered before returning home.

As soon as I got back, I made a peach cobbler to have later. I usually make an apple dessert on Halloween, but I don't have any apples at the moment, so the peach cobbler had to do. And it did just fine.

TV fare tonight included, "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown."

That was Halloween for this year. No trick or treaters. We live too far from town. Anyway, I think most kids in our small town probably attended a Halloween event downtown, where the merchants provided activities and trick or treat candies. Also, most local churches sponsored fall festivals, where costumed kids could party and receive "trunk or treat" candy.




0 comments: