Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Tuesday, April 30

The last day of April, and except for yesterday and today, it hasn't seemed like spring. And now, as we enter May, weather predictions are that we could get winter-cold weather at the end of the week. One meteorologist even suggests there could be snowflakes in the northwest part of the state.

We were up at 7 a.m. this morning, though I postponed my exercises after breakfast, because Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house as I was enjoying a second cup of coffee, and she was antsy to get started doing something, so I gathered veggies for her to dice.

After that, I finally did stair stepping, resistance bands, and weights exercises. By now, it was 11 a.m., so I further postponed getting ready for the day, since I knew it would soon be time to fix lunch for Mother.

So we watched last night's episode of "Dancing With the Stars." I paused the show when it was time for lunch, and then after lunch, we finished watching it.

At 1:30, I finally went upstairs to shower and dress. Spent some time after that gathering materials we'll need for making greeting cards for Caring Hands Hospice, though we didn't have time to begin the project today.

At 3 p.m., Mother and I went to the kitchen to begin supper preparations. She made garlic butter to put on leftover hamburger buns, and I cooked spaghetti, and sauteed the veggies Mother diced this morning...onions (half a large one), bell pepper (one medium one), black and green olives (half cup of each).

Once the spaghetti (12 oz.) was cooked, I added the sauteed veggies, and the mushroom soup I made yesterday (to which I'd added a tablespoon of cooking sherry), and cubed chicken that was cooked yesterday. I poured the mixture into a sprayed 9x11 baking dish and topped it with a half a cup of Parmesan cheese. Baked the dish for about 20 minutes, until it was heated through, then put the butter/garlic buns in the oven to toast. Also served corn-on-the-cob leftover from Sunday.

This very tasty spaghetti dish makes enough for three meals for us. So there's plenty for tomorrow night, which is good, because we think Hubbie's sister and niece are to visit tomorrow, at least for lunch. They are to be in town to look at for-sale homes for Niece and her family.

We think Sis and Niece, and Niece's baby, will only be here during the lunch hour, but things could change. If they are here only an hour or so, Mother and I will plan to begin card making during the afternoon. Whatever happens, I'm glad the spaghetti is ready for tomorrow's supper.

Hubbie accompanied Mother home after supper, and then he and I watched TV, including a 2010 movie called, "All Good Things," based on the true story of a millionaire serial murderer. He was convicted of murdering an elderly man, and is suspected of killing a friend, as well as his first wife.

******************************************************************

Note: learned today that the husband of Hubbie's granddaughter, who lives in another state, injured his Achilles tendon playing basketball, which required surgery around 1 p.m. today. This is a particularly difficult surgery to recover from. At the very least, he'll be six weeks mending, and during that time, he won't be able to drive. Granddaughter and her husband both work, and they have three very young children, so there will be a lot of adjustments for a while.

From what I read, this is an injury common to "weekend warrior" men...guys who don't exercise much during the week, then play sports that require jumping, pivoting, etc., like basketball and tennis, on the weekends, which describes Grandson-in-Law.





0 comments: