Thursday, May 2, 2013

Thursday, May 2

Woke up at 6:30 this morning, even though I could have slept later. But since Hubbie wasn't awake, I just dozed on an off until nearly 8 a.m., when he finally got up.

Did stair stepping, resistance bands, and weights exercises after breakfast. Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house while I was doing this. As usual, she was anxious to do something, so I gathered veggies...onions, carrots, celery, banana pepper, and bell pepper... for her to dice for soup. When she'd finished, I sauteed them in olive oil, and then added chicken broth, beef broth, and diced tomatoes, and let the mixture simmer for a while.

 Next, I washed two quarts of strawberries for Mother to cap and slice. These may be the last of the fresh strawberries for this season. So sad. The season for this luscious fruit is way too short.

By now, it was lunchtime, so I heated chicken noodle soup for Mother, and Hubbie and I had sandwiches.

Then Hubbie ran errands, and I searched through our card-making supplies for things I thought Mother would want to use to make birthday cards. I intended to get dressed while she worked, but she needed my help, so I stayed close for a while.

As we were working, I heard a lawnmower in our yard. What was going on? Had Hubbie decided to mow a little before going to town? I went to a window to check it out, and saw that a stranger was mowing. Who was this guy? Was he supposed to be mowing someone else's yard, and mistakenly ended up doing ours?

I called Hubbie. "There's a stranger mowing our yard!" I exclaimed.

He laughed. "Yes, I know," he said. "He's a neighbor guy, and I asked him to mow the lawn this afternoon."

"He understands that we'll pay him, doesn't he?" I asked. I didn't want the guy to refuse pay like the tree service guy did when he rescued our cat from a tree.

"He does this for a living," Hubbie said, "so I'm sure he understands that he'll be paid."

Every spring, I've suggested that Hubbie hire someone to get the yard in shape the first time, so that it would be easier for him to maintain for the rest of the season, instead of breaking his back doing it all himself. But this was the first time he decided to do it. So I was a bit taken aback.

"Why didn't you tell me someone would be doing that?" I asked.

"Well, I talked to him in his yard to ask when he could do our yard, and he said he had time right now. I just didn't want to turn around and come back to tell you."

"You have a cell phone," I admonished. "You could have called me!"

"Oh, yeah," he said. "I forgot about that."

If there was going to be a stranger in the yard, I figured it was high time I went upstairs to get dressed...just in case he needed to come to the door for some reason.

Mother and I spent the afternoon, until around 4 p.m., making cards. We made six birthday cards, and I made two sympathy cards. Sympathy cards are not our favorite to make, so I will probably do most of those, and let Mother make birthday cards.

At 4 p.m., I finished the soup by cooking a little macaroni to add to it, as well as adding containers of leftover veggies from various meals that I had accumulated in the freezer. From the fridge, I also added leftover whole kernel corn from last night,  the remainder of a bag of coleslaw mix, and even a little barbecue sauce left from last week's pulled pork supper.

We all agreed that the soup was especially good tonight, served with biscuits and honey. We often make this soup, dubbed "Dragon Soup," which is different each time, depending on the accumulation of leftovers.

This was a good night for soup, since it was rainy and dismal. It'll be even better on Saturday night, when we are expecting wintry weather.

Hubbie accompanied Mother home after supper, and then he and I watched TV for the evening.

Not looking forward to getting out in the cold weather in the morning to go to water aerobics. Guess I'll have to suit up in a winter coat, hat, and gloves. It's May, for heaven's sake. We here in the south just don't get this kind of weather this time of year. It's certainly one for the record books.









   

0 comments: