Saturday, May 4, 2013

Saturday, May 4

Today is the anniversary of my father's birthday, b. May 4, 1896/d. November 26, 1983.

Here we go again...May 4th..."May the Fourth be with you." Same joke every year.

What isn't the same every year is this cold weather! It snowed again in the northwest corner of our state, and the rest of the state broke records for low temperatures. Snow this late in the season is unheard of in weather-recorded history.

Things should look up, though, in the coming days, when normal temps are predicted. I look forward to it, though I'm not crazy with predictions for possible stormy weather next weekend, and then the possibility of another cold front to follow.

This was one of those days when I couldn't seem to launch. We were up late, around 8 a.m., and then we sat around before breakfast waiting for my thyroid med to take effect...except that when Hubbie brought me a glass of orange juice, I remembered I hadn't taken my med and had to run back upstairs and take it. So it was another thirty minutes before we could eat.

As soon as breakfast was over, Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house. She was anxious to get started making greeting cards, so I helped her with that for a while, and then went upstairs to the office computer.

I wanted to download snapshots from a CD I burned on my laptop last night, but I couldn't get anything to work. First of all, the mouse quit, Hubbie located new batteries for it. Then, there was a warning from my anti-virus that it needed to be updated. Took quite a while for that to complete. Re-booted the computer afterward, and noticed that there hadn't been a scan since April 23, so started that process, which took too forevers.

Re-booted again, and finally was ready to download photos. Nope, the CD/DVD drive refused to work. Nothing I did helped. So I guess the computer will be going into the shop for repair.

I was hoping to be able to print photos for making greeting cards, because they make great backgrounds. But since I couldn't, we just used rubber stamps, stickers, and patterned papers.

Before I got started on cards, I did an abbreviated stair-stepping exercise session and then got dressed. After everything that happened this morning, I didn't have time for anything else.

By this time, it was noon, so we had lunch...soup for Mother, and sandwiches for Hubbie and me. Mother and I went back to work on greeting cards right afterward. Over the course of the past few days, we've made eleven birthday cards, and nine sympathy cards. We'll make more tomorrow and maybe Monday.

Later, we had a supper of leftover Dragon Soup, along with buttered and heated French bread. Hubbie bought the bread while on an errand-running excursion this afternoon. It went very well with the soup.

After supper, Hubbie accompanied Mother to her house, and then we watched TV. Tonight's fare was the second "Prime Suspect" DVD movies borrowed from the library.This one contains four episodes of the series, starring Helen Mirren.

**************************************************************

Funny: Today, a Master Gardener sent Hubbie an e-mail. It said: Let me know if you do NOT get this test.

Huh? If we had not gotten the message, how would we be able to let her know we had not?

Fortunately, immediately following that message was a new one: Disregard the previous e-mail. Let me know if you Do get this test.

And then there was an e-mail from another Master Gardener, the editor of their newsletter, to which a copy of April's newsletter was attached, followed immediately by another e-mail with the May edition attached..."Sorry," he said, "I got button happy and sent the April newsletter again, instead of the May edition."

I know just how they feel, after my adventures with my own computer today.







0 comments: