Friday, May 3, 2013

Friday, April 3

Up at 6:30 to get ready to go to water aerobics. Since it was winter cold rainy outside, I suited up in coat, hat, and gloves, and made sure there was an umbrella handy. At least it wasn't windy for the walk to the gym. And the pool was nice and warm.

I was surprised that fourteen of us showed up for the session. I figured the weather would keep most of us home. I debated with myself whether or not I wanted to brave the day to go, but I was glad I did after I was in the pool. I didn't want to miss a day, since we might only have two more sessions left next week, before the college is on break for a few weeks before the summer session begins.

Back home, I warmed up with a couple of cups of coffee, and then went upstairs to get ready for the day. Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house, and she got started making greeting cards. By the time I was back downstairs, it was close to lunchtime.

After lunch, Hubbie and I ran errands...first to a bank to get documents shredded. The state shredding truck was on hand at the bank parking lot from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., and there was a long line of cars waiting for the service.

Hubbie thought the shredding was to take place from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., so at 12:30, we hurried to get there on time. We arrived just as the truck was pulling into the parking lot. Naturally, since we were in a parking space close the bank, we were hemmed in by that line of cars. Hubbie had to convince folks to back up a little, so we could get out.

From there, we went to the public library to borrow several movies for the weekend, since the inclement weather will keep us indoors. I intended to visit the college libraries, too, but three of the DVDs we picked up at the public library are British mystery series, so there are several shows in each container.

Stopped by the grocery store after that to get a white cake mix. We were home around 2 p.m., and I immediately baked the cake, using a cup and a quarter of sugared strawberries in place of water. These were the berries we prepared Wednesday. Since we prepared two more quarts of fresh berries yesterday, I felt I needed to use the older ones in some way, and a cake seemed the ideal way.

When the cake was in the oven, I dried leftover hamburger buns in the microwave, and then crumbed them in the blender. Mother added Parmesan cheese, parsley flakes, oregano, basil, pepper, and paprika to the crumbs. Later, we used them to coat talapia fillets for supper.

When the cake was baked, Mother and I adjourned to the living room to resume card making. My creative juices didn't seem to be flowing very well, but I managed to get a couple of cards done...one birthday, and one sympathy. Mother made several birthday cards during the course of the day.

Later, I finished supper preparations. The talapia was very good, served with sweet potatoes, and English peas. Hubbie accompanied Mother home afterward, and then Hubbie and I watched one of the DVDs.

Helen Mirren stars in this one, called "Prime Suspect." Mirren plays a detective who investigates murders, while battling sexism in the workplace.



0 comments: