Sunday, October 27, 2013

Sunday, Oct. 27

Up around 8 a.m., showered and dressed. Sis accompanied Mother to our house mid-morning.

This morning, we were ready to get the pears into the freezer. Since Sis's peeler needs to clamp to a surface, we didn't want to use it on my counters or the dining room table, so Hubbie cleaned an old desk from the sunroom that is being used for plants and brought it into the kitchen. We scoured it and disinfected it, and then set to work.

Well, actually, Sis set to work. She used the device to core, peel and slice enough pears to fill five quart bags for the freezer. The task was completed in just a few minutes. After watching her, I'm convinced I need a peeler, and will be soon be searching for one.

The pears are cooking pears, so they will need to be made into jam, pear honey, or used in cobblers.

Tomorrow, I hope to cook and juice the crab apples Sis brought. Then, as time permits, I'll make jelly from the juice. I obtained a crab apple jelly recipe from a friend at the swimming pool...she called me Friday to dictate it to me. Sis copied the recipe, too.

When the pear project was done, I made a recipe of Spanish rice, using leftover Swiss steak in sauce, and adding salsa, brown sugar, and other spices, and Monterey Jack cheese. We had the rice with canned corn, sliced tomatoes topped with cottage cheese, and slices of Scottish struan bread.

Spent the afternoon watching movies...both versions of "War of the Worlds." Mother and I had watched these a couple of weeks ago, but Sis was in the mood to see them, and we didn't mind watching them again.

Later, for supper, I heated barbecue from the freezer for Sis and Hubbie, and a bowl of macaroni and cheese for Mother. I opted for fried eggs and pumpkin muffins.

Afterward, Sis gathered her things and headed home. Mother stayed around for a while to watch a little TV, and then Hubbie accompanied her home. He and I continued watching TV until bedtime.

0 comments: