Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Tuesday, Nov. 5

Up at 7:30. I meant to do an exercise session, but it didn't happen. Instead, I somehow got busy sorting a couple of drawers, trying on clothes, and throwing things away. Once I finally got ready for the day, it was around 10:30 and time to head to the beauty shop. Hubbie had accompanied Mother to our house around 9:30.

Back home, after lunch, Mother and I watched this week's episode of "Dancing With the Stars." As usual, the one who was eliminated was not the one we thought would go.

Didn't do much else for the afternoon other than catch up on reading newspapers. Later, I added noodles to the chicken and broth I cooked yesterday, so supper would be ready for Mother at her usual 5 p.m. hour, while I was gone to an executive board meeting of the Friends of the Library.

I also baked a recipe of brownies, using an inexpensive house brand packaged mix I bought at the grocery store yesterday. I bought it on the recommendation of a lady I know from Extension Homemakers.

I left home around 4:30, so I could have time to find the meeting room, which is the break room on the second floor of the library. I have never been in that area of the library, but when I got to the very back of that floor, a woman I know who works at the library led me to the room, which is near her office.

A minute after I arrived, a young woman who is a student at the college arrived. We introduced ourselves and learned that our names, first and last, are remarkably similar.

By 5 p.m., ten board members were gathered. I am personally acquainted with six. There is another member (whom I also know), but I learned tonight that she is recovering after an accident in which she slipped and fell on wet steps at a local restaurant. She broke a knee cap and spent many days in the hospital following surgery. Now she is at a rehabilitation center. She will finally be moved to an assisted living center until she is able to return to her own home, which could be months.

I was grateful that the meeting moved right along, and we completed our business in less than an hour. Tonight's business revolved around an upcoming fund raising chili/soup supper, bake sale, and silent auction event. I'll provide a stew for the event, as well as baked goods. I'll also either help with setup or clean up afterward.

Back home, I found that Mother had eaten at her usual time, but Hubbie kept the soup hot for my return. He joined me for supper. Afterward, he accompanied Mother to her house, and then he and I watched one-hour shows on TV.

The brownies were delicious, by the way. They are a rich, dark chocolate, and very moist and chewy. They are plain, but nuts could be added to them. We'll be picking up several packages to have on hand for quick desserts at home or to take to potlucks.

 











0 comments: