Friday, March 21, 2014

Friday, March 21

Up at 6 a.m. to get ready for water aerobics. It was a bit chilly, so I wore a coat and gloves for the walk to the gym.

Arrived at the college at 7:30, and as I was about to cross the street the gym, one of aerobics members called to me. She and others, including our leader, were gathered in the parking lot. Seems no one could get into the pool area, because the coach/lifeguard had not arrived.

This was strange, because he is usually there very early for the lap swimmers. We waited for a while, and when he didn't show up, our leader called him. No answer. Finally, she and another lady decided to go to his house, which is just a couple of blocks away from the college. They returned to say they had knocked loudly on his door, with no response.

We were bewildered, but most of us decided to go on home. Our leader said she would stay behind and find someone to check on the coach. She would leave a message on her social network page letting us know what she learned.

Later in the morning, I checked her page. The young man had been located. He and his family had simply overslept, because they had forgotten to set their alarm. He's a very reliable person, so I'm surprised this happened, but glad to learn he's okay.

At home, after enjoying a couple of cups of coffee, I headed upstairs to get ready for the day, while Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house.

After selecting and discarding several clothing choices, I finally decided what to wear. These between-season days make it difficult to decide what to wear that's warm enough for a mild spring day, but doesn't look like a winter outfit.

We didn't have anything all that important to do today, but we did want to go to the grand opening of a Goodwill store that has set up business in the old Fred's building. Mother wanted to go on this outing, too.

We left home around 10 a.m. The store parking lot was pretty full, but we found a space close to the door. We spent about an hour shopping in this large, well-lighted, very organized store. We weren't looking for anything special, but we did find a few things.

We picked up five new Christmas stockings...price $2...which I stored until Christmas. These will be our scrapbook club's contribution to the Extension Homemakers stocking drive in December. We also found a large Christmas snow globe that features wind-up music and whimsical figures that pass by little windows at the base of the globe. I don't need this, but it is very interesting, and it only cost $4.

I also found a handmade pottery vase in colors that match our dining room. I don't need this, either, but it's pretty. I would have liked to look through the movie DVDs, but Mother and Hubbie weren't interested, so I'll go back another day and do that. Mother and I did briefly looked through the clothing, but nothing struck us. While we were browsing, Hubbie registered us for the door prize of a TV.

Back home, Hubbie made grilled cheese sandwiches for our lunch, in observance of a Lenten Friday. Then he watched NCAA games on TV, and Mother and I finished the scrapbook pages we started yesterday. We were done with the project around 3 p.m.

We went to the kitchen, where I scrubbed sweet potatoes for the oven, and then gathered ingredients for making salmon loaf. Mother measured and put the loaf together. At 3:30, I put the potatoes in the oven, and when they were done shortly after 4 p.m., I put the salmon loaf in. Served the salmon and potatoes with canned green beans, and rye bread.

Mother was ready to go home after supper, so Hubbie accompanied her. Then he watched more NCAA games, while I played on my computer, read the newspapers, and generally goofed off.



 













0 comments: