Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Tuesday, March 18

Up at 7:30, so Hubbie could get read to go to a Master Gardener's home around 9 a.m. to dig and pot plants for an upcoming plant sale.

Before he left, he accompanied Mother to our house. This was the first day she has felt like getting out of her house since last Friday. Her head cold seems to have eased quite a bit, so she was ready to get back to her jigsaw puzzle.

While she worked on her puzzle, I did stair stepping, resistance bands, and weights exercises, then got ready for the day. I didn't do much else for the rest of the morning.

Hubbie returned around 11:30. For lunch, I fixed something different for each of us...Ramen noodle soup for Mother, the remainder of the barbecue for Hubbie, and an omelet and toast for me.

After lunch,  Mother and I watched last night's season opener of "Dancing With the Stars." The Mother went back to her jigsaw puzzle, Hubbie snoozed in his recliner, and I went upstairs to sort my shoes. I tossed four worn out pairs, weeded out six or eight pairs to be stored in the shed for a future yard sale, and organized the rest in the closet.

I plan to do more sorting and tossing in the next five or six months, with an eye to mounting an autumn yard sale. Hoping to sort things at Mother's house, too.

Spent about an hour reading newspapers, and playing on my tablet, and then went to the kitchen to put together a casserole for supper. Mother joined me. I gathered leftover sauteed potatoes, thin pork chops, a bit of leftover white gravy, a can of mixed veggies, a couple of slices of bread (the end of a loaf), Monterey Jack cheese and a remaining slice of baby Swiss cheese.

Mother shredded the Monterey Jack cheese, and cut up the Swiss cheese, while I made bread crumbs, and drained the mixed veggies. Then we layered the potatoes, the meat (which had been cubed), the veggies, the cheeses, and topped the dish with bread crumbs (that had been mixed with Parmesan cheese and spices).

Baked the covered dish for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven, then uncovered it and baked an additional 15 minutes. Served the meal with sliced tomatoes topped with cottage cheese, and the remaining three slices of rye bread. Hubbie and I also had a couple of pieces of leftover corn-on-the-cob.

Shortly after supper, Mother was ready to go home, so Hubbie accompanied her. Then we watched one-hour shows on TV, until time to watch our favorite state college basketball team as they played to a win. Yay.            











0 comments: